• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Driod My complaints about Email Texting and Video. So far still limited.

ChicagoBob

Dec 6, 2009
Here go my top 10 problems with DROID.
1) EMAIL no empty the trash? I have over 1000 emails in the trash and I cant empty them.
2) EMAIL You can EASILY open an email trying to check it.
3) EMAIL No way to create filters to separate emails and create JUNK filters.
4) EMAIL You can easily open an email trying to scroll. Seems like we need a safe area on the left or right so we can scroll without opening the email.
5) Text Messaging. You cant copy a sent message or a portion of it? This doesn't seem possible and is very irritating. I cant forward a message either.
6) Text Messaging something read a text message for me? Like a text to voice reader? This can help with all the driving rules.
7) Text Messaging An automatic reply that can be turned off or on to inform users you are on the road.
8) Video Player. I like to play movies but have often noticed audio drift on several
videos. SO the video player needs a way to delay or advance audio to match the video like VLC has.

9) Video Player ZOOM I need custom zoom sizes so I can play video and resize them to FIT the video window irrespective of the aspect ratio. The screen it too small to care.
I want to digitize my video at 320x480 and zoom it up why not so I can get more video on my phone.

10) WEB Browser Last complaint for today.. FLASH WHERE THE $^$%#& is the FLASH support that was promised by Adobe?

11) WEB Browser Shouldn't you be able to copy text from a web page to use in a search?

WHY cant I view pages without being classified into special class?
Like ABC news. I cant read user comments because my phone reads the news articles only. You cant reply nor can you read news comments. Bummer :( The phone is reading reformatted pages.

I love the phone but it really lags from where I expected it to be at this point. With so many developers maybe its hard to find the good stuff?

1. Can't say cause I use Touchdown and it does have a deleted items folder that can be emptied.

2.?

3. You can with Touchdown. Not sure about the stock email client sorry.

4. I agree, there should be a dedicated scroll section in every program as it's easy to activate certain items.

5.If I long press the text message, I get the option to copy or forward it. Try it.
(I am running a custom rom but the messaging app as far as I know was untouched)

6.?

7. As far as I can tell the stock messaging app doesn't have this feature. However you might want to try Hancent. It's a replacement messaging app with more features and seems to be the one everyone recommends. I haven't used it yet.

8.I've read of complaints of audio drift but I haven't experienced it myself. I guess I haven't recorded enough video yet.

9.Can't help here, sorry. This isn't something many will want though. Most people want their video in the highest quality possible. And you have to admit the video quality is very decent for a cell phone.

10. Patience :). But yeah everyone's waiting on Flash. From a recent video posted, it looks like it'll be here soon.

11. Yes, simply slide out your keyboard, hold the shift key down(key with arrow pointing up)and drag your finger across the text to be copied. You can also choose menu>more>select text which is the longer way.

To view and reply to comments on abcnews.com you need to go to the regular site. Just scroll to the very bottom and choose 'regular site'. This will bring up the desktop version and allow you to use the site like you would on a desktop. This is normal with most smartphones as they generally default to the mobile site first. You might also want to try xscope or Dolphin browsers, both of which are faster and have more features than the default browser.

Upvote 0
Please see below for a few answers...

Here go my top 10 problems with DROID.
1) EMAIL no empty the trash? I have over 1000 emails in the trash and I cant empty them.
2) EMAIL You can EASILY open an email trying to check it.
3) EMAIL No way to create filters to separate emails and create JUNK filters.
4) EMAIL You can easily open an email trying to scroll. Seems like we need a safe area on the left or right so we can scroll without opening the email.
5) Text Messaging. You cant copy a sent message or a portion of it? This doesn't seem possible and is very irritating. I cant forward a message either.
Long Press on text in message and click "Copy"
6) Text Messaging something read a text message for me? Like a text to voice reader? This can help with all the driving rules.
This can be done in 3rd party texting apps (not sure on stock app)
7) Text Messaging An automatic reply that can be turned off or on to inform users you are on the road.
8) Video Player. I like to play movies but have often noticed audio drift on several
videos. SO the video player needs a way to delay or advance audio to match the video like VLC has.

9) Video Player ZOOM I need custom zoom sizes so I can play video and resize them to FIT the video window irrespective of the aspect ratio. The screen it too small to care.
I want to digitize my video at 320x480 and zoom it up why not so I can get more video on my phone.

10) WEB Browser Last complaint for today.. FLASH WHERE THE $^$%#& is the FLASH support that was promised by Adobe?
Flash Support has been promised in the first 1/2 of 2010 (which we are still in)

11) WEB Browser Shouldn't you be able to copy text from a web page to use in a search?
Long hold on text, choose copy text, then highlight text to copy with finger, then long hold on the web address box and choose Paste

WHY cant I view pages without being classified into special class?
Like ABC news. I cant read user comments because my phone reads the news articles only. You cant reply nor can you read news comments. Bummer :( The phone is reading reformatted pages.
This is done by the website, not the phone. Some sites have buttons you can press that says something like "switch to desktop view" or something along those lines, some don't. I think you could use a proxy if you really wanted to get around that

I love the phone but it really lags from where I expected it to be at this point. With so many developers maybe its hard to find the good stuff?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones