• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid Bionic Pics Spotted In Wild

I also hope it's not 4.5" qHD on Bionic. That size would turn off some folks for sure, not to mention battery problem.

And regarding the AP in Bionic, I see that TI has OMAP4430 @1Ghz and OMAP4440 @1.5Ghz. The only phone that has OMAP4430 now is LG Optimus 3D (Thrill on AT&T) soon to be launched. So maybe Bionic has 1.5Ghz OMAP4440 I guess.

Upvote 0
I believe the Bionic will be 4.3" after doing some side by side comparisons with the Defy and the DX. Doesn't look like the pictures posted here of the Bionic are 4.5", however it is only .2" diagonal different so I suppose it is possible, just not likely IMHO. That is of less importance than how the phone actually works in consumers hands though. I'm hoping Moto nails this one. I'm itching to use my upgrade that I've had since February.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
I also hope it's not 4.5" qHD on Bionic. That size would turn off some folks for sure, not to mention battery problem.

And regarding the AP in Bionic, I see that TI has OMAP4430 @1Ghz and OMAP4440 @1.5Ghz. The only phone that has OMAP4430 now is LG Optimus 3D (Thrill on AT&T) soon to be launched. So maybe Bionic has 1.5Ghz OMAP4440 I guess.
The way Moto/T.I. did the Droid X last year....it gonna be hard to say.

Last year the only chips T.I. had at 1Ghz was the dual core ones. The single core 3630, the highest was 700 or 800 Mhz. They clocked the 3630 to 1Ghz and clocked the gpu a lil higher. This page still says 3630-1000:

MOTODEV > Products > DROID X by Motorola, MB810

They did it for the Droid 2 also:

MOTODEV > Products > DROID 2 Global by Motorola, A956

Now it make no mention of the 3630 being under 1Ghz in T.I. info,* but it was last year. Back then with that and it having an HDMI out alot of folks thought it was a dual core phone. If Moto/T.I. overclocks/underclocks the chip aint no tell what it is until it officially comes out.

*Looks like someone updated the wiki since 2 weeks ago. I just looked at it and it had no mention of the 3630 being under 1Ghz.

Upvote 0
Regardless of size, I just hope Moto takes the Bionic's LCD quality up several notches over the DX2. I wanted to love that phone, but I could not get over how smeary motion was on that display.
For as long as we've been waiting for the Bionic it'll make baby Jesus cry if the screen is awful.

I didn't think the DX2 had a bad display, it was on par with the DX display IMHO. Didn't notice any "smeary" look but I only played with one for maybe 15 minutes. FWIW, I really like the DX display as it has a very bright backlight. Much preferred over the dimmish displays on phones like the Tbolt.

Upvote 0
I thought the DX2 display rocked and would be happy if on the Bionic. In fact, it probably was until Moto scuttled the original version.

I expect a 4.5" qHD LCD, with dual core and LTE to be a battey suckin' fool. Nothing is for free, so all the power and size will be paid though the battery.

If Gingerbread fixes the DX2 issues, I will get the DX2 and wait to see how the Bionic pans out..... Then again, Gingerbread could be a few months from release for the DX2 and same time as Bionic.

Upvote 0
one word, one syllable....wait for it....Swype. Seriously physical keyboards are for the minority anymore, stick it next to the 8 track and grandpas tv guide

I've used Swype. It's still inferior. No other method of text input can let you type something without looking at the phone. Only a physical keyboard can do that. I'll admit Swype is useful for when I'm standing in line somewhere and want to use my one free hand to type something short out. For anything with appreciable length, not using a physical keyboard is like having short, flailing dinosaur arms.

God, I hope physical keyboards aren't going the way of 8-tracks and TV guides. You generally phase things out because something better is coming along.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones