• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola G5S oem_locked

IAmHuman

Lurker
Aug 10, 2022
Hello. I am hoping this is the correct place to ask this? Please bear with me as this is going to be a lengthy post.

I tried to unlock the bootloader on my Motorola G5S but it didn't work. I still get this error message when I turn on the phone:

Your device has failed verification and may not work properly.

To learn more, visit:
motorola.com/unlockbootloader

ID: N/A

Your device will boot in 5 seconds.

Note it doesn't boot in 5 seconds. It doesn't boot at all.

I tried the steps at the address given:

DEVICE ID AND UNLOCK KEY
Now that you understand the risks associated with unlocking the bootloader, let’s get started!

First, we’ll need to get your device ready to get the device ID and unlock key. You’ll need to do a few things to get this.

1. Install the Android SDK. You can download it here.
  2. Install the latest Motorola USB Drivers. Get them here.

Next, you will need to get your device ID.

TO GET YOUR DEVICE ID
  1. Put your device in fastboot mode (press the power button and volume down button at the same time and connect your device to your computer with a USB cable).
  2. On your computer, open a command prompt or Terminal session.
  3. Go to the Directory where you installed the Android SDK tools, and type:$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
  4. This fastboot command will return a character string. This is the Device ID which you will be using to generate your unique unlock key.

Example Device ID (PC User)$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
    (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00
    (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
    (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
    (bootloader) 0000000
    Example Device ID (Mac Users)INFO0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
    INFO30373731363031303332323239#BD00
    INFO8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
    INFO1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
    INFO0000000
  5. To generate your unlock code, you’ll need to paste together the 5 lines of output into one continuous string without "bootloader or info" or white spaces. Using the example above, the line you’d send us would be:
    0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000
  6. Copy the Device ID string, being sure there are no spaces, and paste it into the "Make Sure you Device Is Unlockable" field below. This will verify that your device can be unlocked.
MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS UNLOCKABLE
Paste the Device ID string into the field below to verify that your device is unlockable:

I got the email with the unique code to unlock the bootloader of your Motorola phone.

I had to use a slightly different command (.\fastboot). Here is the output of unlocking the bootloader:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> fastboot oem get_unlock_data
fastboot : The term 'fastboot' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
+ ~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (fastboot:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: The command fastboot was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: ".\fastboot". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> .\fastboot oem get_unlock_data
(bootloader) Unlock data:
(bootloader) 3A15980418526607#
(bootloader) 5A593332324D39443937004D6F746F2047200000#
(bootloader) 17C6E283DBADE567A7E51F140FE711B0469027F2#
(bootloader) 1D91D6BA000000000000000000000000
OKAY [ 0.018s]
finished. total time: 0.019s
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> fastboot devices
fastboot : The term 'fastboot' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ fastboot devices
+ ~~~~~~~~

Suggestion [3,General]: The command fastboot was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: ".\fastboot". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> .\fastboot devices
ZY322M9D97 fastboot
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> fastboot oem unlock H5CHEA5N3JTQ7R2IOOSF
+ fastboot oem unlock H5CHEA5N3JTQ7R2IOOSF
+ ~~~~~~~~

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> .\fastboot oem unlock H5CHEA5N3JTQ7R2IOOSF
(bootloader) WARNING: This command erases all user data.
(bootloader) Please re-run this command to continue.
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.007s
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot> .\fastboot oem unlock H5CHEA5N3JTQ7R2IOOSF
(bootloader) Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Android Settings > Developer
(bootloader) Options
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.008s
PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

For some reason typing just fastboot throws up an error. Not sure why. But when I add .\ in front of it, it works.

I cannot check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Android Settings > Developer as the phone won't boot. But I'm pretty sure (99%) that I had that turned on the last time I used the phone. (Its been sitting in a drawer for several years).

This is what it displays once I pasted my Device ID string

You should have received an email with your Unlock Key. If you did not, check you spam folder. Inside the email is a UNIQUE_KEY, a 20-character alphanumeric code that you will use to unlock your device.

Unlock your device
  1. Turn off your device.
  2. Start your device in fastboot mode. To do this on most Motorola devices, push and hold the power and volume down at the same time, release the power button then release volume down. The device will power up in fastboot mode
  3. Connect the device to the computer with a USB cable. You'll get a confirmation message on the device will indicate that it's connected.
  4. Open a command window or terminal on your computer.
  5. Change field to show the path to the tools folder within the Android SDK folder.
  6. Verify that the desktop and device are connected by entering the following in the command field:$ fastboot devicesYou should see that your device is connected.
  7. Now you will unlock the bootloader. Simply enter the following in the command line:$ fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEYThe UNIQUE_KEY is the code you received in the email. It is case-sensitive.
  8. If the line was entered correctly, your device's screen will confirm that your device is unlocked. You have just unlocked your device's bootloader.
  9. After a device is successfully unlocked, it will reboot and when it starts again you will see the screen below.
unlockedbootloader_320.png

It didn't confirm that my device is unlocked. And this screen didn't appear. And it didn't reboot. So should I run the command again? Will that brick the phone?

So now I am thinking I should install a custom ROM to override the default OS provided by Motorola.

Is there any chance of recovering this phone?

Note it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer at all. Well not completely. It shows up as J: drive but I cannot access it. I think due to it being OEM locked?

One more thing. I have installed adb fastboot on my PC from the instructions here:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/adb_fastboot_guide

what happened to your device to be in this state? what did you do? was it rooted before? do you have fastboot and adb setup correct? are you opening the command window in the correct folder?

if you type:
Code:
fastboot devices
what happens?

It was sitting in a drawer for several years. I went to turn it on and it came up with that message:

To learn more, visit:
motorola.com/unlockbootloader

ID: N/A

Your device will boot in 5 seconds.

It wasn't rooted. I have never rooted it. Though I have done with other phones I've had.
What I don't understand is how can it be bootlocked when it was sitting in a drawer? Hasn't been touched in years. The first time I turn it on after that time it won't boot. Very puzzling.

I have fastboot and adb setup. I use PowerShell because its the only option available when shift-rightclicking in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder. They're pretty much the same thing anyway I think. And I can't boot the phone to turn on developer mode even though I'm pretty sure I turned that on the last time before I put it away in the drawer.
I don't get how a phone can just do shit on its own when sitting in a drawer.

What happens when I type fastboot devices it shows the following:

ZY322M9D97 fastboot

Which is the phone's serial number. So I can get some info from it but cannot actually do anything to recover or root the phone.
I am thinking rooting is the only option at this point?

edit: One more thing. It shows up in the system tray and I can eject but it doesn't show as a portable device in Windows Explorer:

Eject Fastboot montana S.png

edit 2: I have installed the Motorola Drivers and the ADB Drivers but they aren't installed properly. I have pointed to the folder where they are but still it won't install them properly:

device manager phone.png

Tells me it already has the best driver installed:

adb.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to post a new reply to make it cleaner.

I checked the Event Viewer logs (the most recent entry) via the Android ADB Interface from within the driver details and it shows the following:

Error 11/08/2022 4:38:01 PM Kernel-PnP 411 None
Device ROOT\UNKNOWN\0000 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem47.inf
Class Guid: {3f966bd9-fa04-4ec5-991c-d326973b5128}
Service: WinUSB
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0xA
Problem Status: 0xC0000010

Something is seriously wrong.

And the information under it in Information:

Information 11/08/2022 4:38:01 PM Kernel-PnP 400 None

Device ROOT\UNKNOWN\0000 was configured.

Driver Name: oem47.inf
Class Guid: {3f966bd9-fa04-4ec5-991c-d326973b5128}
Driver Date: 08/28/2014
Driver Version: 11.0.0.0
Driver Provider: Google, Inc.
Driver Section: USB_Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: usb\vid_18d1&pid_0d02
Outranked Drivers: oem45.inf:usb\vid_18d1&pid_0d02:00FF0000
Device Updated: true
Parent Device: HTREE\ROOT\0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones