• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Xoom vs Rooted GTablet

KzA

May 25, 2010
As most of you probably are, Im absolutely dying to get my hands on an Android tablet for couch surfing. The Motorola Xoom seems very promising, however I have been doing some research on the rooted GTablet from ViewSonic and it doesnt seem so far off the Xoom. Lets have a look at the specs first..

Xoom:

10.1 inch display
1280x800 res
1ghz dual core Tegra 2
1 GB RAM
Wifi
HDMI out
miniSD
32 GB Internal
2 MP Front Camera, 5 MP Rear Camera
1080p playback

GTablet:
10.1 inch display
1024x600
1ghz dual core Tegra 2
512 mb RAM
Wifi
SD card
16 GB internal
1.3 MP Front Camera
1080p playback

So, the glaring differences right off the bat are the display, HDMI out, RAM and the rear camera. I couldnt care less about a rear camera and from all reports, seems the gTablet is plenty fast with the RAM is has. I would like HDMI out but I could live without it.

The gTablet is like $380, while the Xoom will most likely be $599 or so.

I am running out of reasons to wait for the Xoom. Can anyone think of anything glaringly obvious that I have missed?

You may mention that I left out the fact that the Xoom runs Honeycomb. But Im willing to bet Honeycomb gets ported to the gTablet before the Xoom even comes out(if not very soon after), so that point is null and void.

Thoughts?

I love my gtablet and I think its the smoothest device out now in regards to performance but I think the Xoom is superior when it comes out. I think the gtab is a good glimpse of what tegra tabs are all about. I was like you about a couple of months "dying" for a tablet but this gtab has increased my patience when choosing my next tablet device. Its really is an awesome device if rooted.

Not sure about Honeycomb being on the gtab before the xoom comes out. I think the Xoom release and honeycomb release will be somewhat in the same timeframe. But who knows, we got some really good devs working on the gtablet....anything is possible!:D

Upvote 0
For me the better display of the Xoom, and Honeycomb are the real differences. However, Moto may lock the bootloader so modding may be much tougher on the Xoom too. I've contemplated the Gtab, but the amount of initial problems were too great for the price for me at least. And it's not set in stone the Xoom will be $599, but it wouldn't be surprising if it is.

Upvote 0
I was like you about a couple of months "dying" for a tablet but this gtab has increased my patience when choosing my next tablet device. Its really is an awesome device if rooted.

I think this is a great point as well. Lets face it, the Xoom is going to be the first in a long line of great Android tablets. I feel that a rooted gTab would be a relatively cheap appetizer to ease my tablet hunger.. and allow me to wait until summer & fall of 2011 to see some of these newer more polished tabs come out.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for the Xoom until I stumbled across the G-Tablet while browsing through the tablets on xda-developers to see which is being most actively developed for. I had not really looked at it previously since it is not being sold here in Europe.

The G is not totally dissimilar to the Xoom in terms of specs - for me the big differences are the screen and the RAM (I couldn't care less about cameras and the storage difference is easily fixed with an SD card).

I started wondering whether I really wanted to wait an indeterminate period of time for the Xoom to hit Europe only to pay an insane price for my first tablet (predicted to be

Upvote 0
I was all in on buying the Xoom until I found out and red up on the Gtab seems like a better bang for you buck and I love customization and it seems like XDA has really adopted the Gtab and there is a lot of good stuff for it.

The screen and HDMI are the only knocks but ohh well . Xoom is $799 the Gtab can be had as low as $279 refurbished or $329 new . ohh and the dock has HDMI out on it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones