• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

motorola xt862 out of date help.

Jawsh66

Lurker
May 7, 2018
Hi!
This is my first time posting here, Basically I found my old Motorola Droid 3 and it was a Verizon phone.
Upon turning it on I was prompted to activate the phone by a call, but I have no active sim card currently installed.
I used the trick of touching the 4 corners of the screen to skip activation and be taken to the desktop of the phone, All I really want to use the phone for is snapchat, face book, a gameboy emulator and the talkatone free texting app,
I really dont care about it functioning as a verizon phone as I don't want a plan.
However, it seems impossible to download any apps or even open many apps due to "unsecure connection error" or "This app is not supported by your device"
I would really like to get this phone functioning because I love the pull out keyboard and its still in great shape.
I am not an expert but I am also fairly intuitive and can manage installing programs on my computer etc.
My question is, Should I jailbreak the phone and will this help me in anyway to be able to install apps such as Snapchat and Mozilla and the Google play store etc?
I don't know exactly what the functionality of rooting an android phone is for.
If you have any advice about how I can get the phone functioning and/or install older version of apps, please help me, as it seems such a waste to have a perfectly great but unusable phone!
Thank you in advance and kind regards :)

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_3-4036.php
That's a really dated phone with only 512MB of RAM. Most of your 'out of date' messages are probably due to the fact that the phone itself is running an out-of-date, unsupported version of Android and the apps simply aren't updatable either since independent development for those apps also halted quite a while ago.
It won't matter if you rooted this phone or not, there isn't a modern Android version (stock or custom) that will be functional and usable on a phone this old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones