• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MotoTorch LED 2.0 released - FREE FOR 3 DAYS

I've been playing around with some rooted ROMs and kernels, and surprise, MotorTorch doesn't work on them. However, the camera does work. So I'm not sure which exactly which is the culprit yet. Using CyanogenMod 6 RC 1 with a jdlfg kernel.
I noticed this too and I am running BB 0.4. I know the motorola droid light still works from motorola on my rooted phone. I want the torch app to get fixed as I miss the widget

Upvote 0
I like Extended Controls because this feature comes with the app, then theres much more. I don't like having pointless apps.

Edit: Not saying this app is pointless period. It is to me. Already bought EC before i even discovered this app. Just don't like having two apps that can do the same thing.
(Though I did like the effects i can do with mototorch, but still.)

Upvote 0
Reviewed all of them out there, and concluded that MotoTorch LED is simply the best.

"simply the best" is such a subjective statement that it always gives me a chuckle when someone tries to use it to describe anything... in reality, it only depends on what you need for a flashlight app...

Personally, for my needs, TeslaLED works better because it is much brighter of a flashlight... which is the only use I need any of these apps for. If someone needed the other features that MotoTorch has... obviously that would weigh into the equation...

I don't mind when someone ( such as 2guys1droid or anyone ) links to their own site to host a nice video review... in fact, I completely understand that. My only objection ( if you want to call it that ) is when someone over-embellishes a product with claims such as "simply the best"... it always want to make me say "the best for who?" :D

PS... it is still great to see that MotoTorch LED is finally working on a 2.2 Droid now... I know a lot of users that like it and were upset when it quit working just after 2.2 Roms were being released.

Reactions: Psychokitty
Upvote 0
Personally, for my needs, TeslaLED works better because it is much brighter of a flashlight... which is the only use I need any of these apps for. If someone needed the other features that MotoTorch has... obviously that would weigh into the equation

Same here. I just wish that Tesla didn't have the slight delay and "camera lens" sound when it opens, but that is probably a result of whatever makes it brighter.

Upvote 0
Ooh... I see "we" got merged into the main MotoTorch thread ( I probably wouldn't have mentioned the TelsaLED app had I known that would happen )... probably a good place for it still... but I also see the subject being discussed is now about the issue of possible LED failures/problems...

I can sort of understand why some would think that a warning about a possible issue with the LED's may be warrented.... but I still call that type of warning "an idiot's warning" ... sort of like the ones they place on hot coffee now :) ...

We should already know that running any light, including an LED will cause them to fail sooner than if you never used it at all.... this is true for LED's just as much as it is for an incandecent light. It just seems a bit silly to have to be told that it could happen.... or perhaps even that if I use say the TeslaLED app instead, since it is brighter, that the failure may happen even sooner since the LED's are being pushed harder.

For me... MotoTorch was the first really ( really ) nice app to use the camera LED on the Droid... I'm very thankful for AndoMike for producing this app and then kindly providing it for everyone... So just in case you haven't been thanked recently... thanks again.

Reactions: jmt9779
Upvote 0
I keep waiting for MotoTorch to be equipped with an intensity slider so I can ditch Tesla.

Or be able to turn them into laser beams so we can attach them to the heads of our sharks... or is that too much to friggen' ask?

Attachments

• Dr_Evil.jpg
    Dr_Evil.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
Or be able to turn them into laser beams so we can attach them to the heads of our sharks... or is that too much to friggen' ask?
Actually, now that you mention it...
:D

The thing about Tesla, it is really bright, but it appears to be using the part of the video setting in 2.2 that allows you to set the LED to the on position for recording. That option is as bright as Tesla.
2 things about that are kinda strange to me; Do the powers that be with regards to giving our Droids updates feel it's not detrimental to the longevity of the LED(s) to have it on that that bright for rather long durations? and secondly, is the fact that every time Tesla is started the aperture is opened or the filter lens is moved or the focusing solenoid kicks in, or whatever the hell that noise is; is that not detrimental to the longevity of the camera either?
Not that I use the light all that much. I mean, maybe a couple times to find the key hole in my door at night after walking home from the bar...
Once though the strobe did come in rather handy as my wife pushing our newborn in a carriage, my 7 year old daughter and myself were walking home from a restaurant at night along a stretch of road in our town that has no sidewalk.

Upvote 0
Actually, now that you mention it...
:D

The thing about Tesla, it is really bright, but it appears to be using the part of the video setting in 2.2 that allows you to set the LED to the on position for recording. That option is as bright as Tesla.
2 things about that are kinda strange to me; Do the powers that be with regards to giving our Droids updates feel it's not detrimental to the longevity of the LED(s) to have it on that that bright for rather long durations? and secondly, is the fact that every time Tesla is started the aperture is opened or the filter lens is moved or the focusing solenoid kicks in, or whatever the hell that noise is; is that not detrimental to the longevity of the camera either?
Not that I use the light all that much. I mean, maybe a couple times to find the key hole in my door at night after walking home from the bar...
Once though the strobe did come in rather handy as my wife pushing our newborn in a carriage, my 7 year old daughter and myself were walking home from a restaurant at night along a stretch of road in our town that has no sidewalk.

As for having the LEDs on for max (defined) power for a length of time - well, no, it is not detrimental in any other way than to shorten the life of the LED by the amount of time that you have it on. of course, this is true for any such electrical light source today - the more it is used, the sooner it is going to fail.

If the actual aperture is being adjusted every time the Tesla app is being used, then yes, it will contribute to its overall failure - but that doesn't mean the aperture will fail before the phone itself fails / is replaced. Until someone can provide tested data that indicates a good average MTBF for both the LEDs and the aperture (or whatever part of the camera goes active when Tesla is used) all you *can* say is that you are contributing to the failure of the device - but in that case, as long as your phone is on, you're contributing to the failure of your phone, too. As long as you are reading the screen, you're contributing to the failure of your screen As long as you are swiping and touching and scrolling and such on the capacitive interface of the screen, you're contributing to the failure of that as well.

The choice is yours - an as another poster mentioned above, the app you choose is going to be base upon your own needs and wants. I have both installed, as I have always used MOTOTorch LED until it broke in 2. a few months ago, and then I added Tesla. Tesla is nice and bright - but since I use only the flashlight regardless of which I want to use, until MOTOTorch started working again I was using Tesla exclusively.

Now, I am back to MOTOTorch - b/c it works, and it does what I need it to.

Upvote 0
As for having the LEDs on for max (defined) power for a length of time - well, no, it is not detrimental in any other way than to shorten the life of the LED by the amount of time that you have it on. of course, this is true for any such electrical light source today - the more it is used, the sooner it is going to fail.

If the actual aperture is being adjusted every time the Tesla app is being used, then yes, it will contribute to its overall failure - but that doesn't mean the aperture will fail before the phone itself fails / is replaced. Until someone can provide tested data that indicates a good average MTBF for both the LEDs and the aperture (or whatever part of the camera goes active when Tesla is used) all you *can* say is that you are contributing to the failure of the device - but in that case, as long as your phone is on, you're contributing to the failure of your phone, too. As long as you are reading the screen, you're contributing to the failure of your screen As long as you are swiping and touching and scrolling and such on the capacitive interface of the screen, you're contributing to the failure of that as well.

The choice is yours - an as another poster mentioned above, the app you choose is going to be base upon your own needs and wants. I have both installed, as I have always used MOTOTorch LED until it broke in 2. a few months ago, and then I added Tesla. Tesla is nice and bright - but since I use only the flashlight regardless of which I want to use, until MOTOTorch started working again I was using Tesla exclusively.

Now, I am back to MOTOTorch - b/c it works, and it does what I need it to.
...Reported for being long winded, and I completely agree. However, there's a bit of difference between use of the touch screen depleting overall life of that component and the use of a rather bright (pretty damned bright!) use of the LED which is meant to be bright, but flashed quickly.
So, while yes it's true that use of all the components constitutes USE, how they're used clearly has an impact on longevity.

...Reported again for being right all the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones