• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mount as disk drive (to transfer files, etc)

Hi there,
I have taken many photos with my HTC EVO 4G LTE. When I plug it on to a USB port on my computer, it brings up the option to use as a disk driver, which I select. The files that pop up are DCIM, however, only the pictures up to June of 2012 are found. Anything after that are not there, even though they are there on my actual phone.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
could they be on the internal storage of the phone? you have phone,internal and SD card storage.

do you have a file explorer app on the phone that will let you search folders?

and just so im clear, you can see/view the other photos just fine FROM your phone?

Hi there,
I have taken many photos with my HTC EVO 4G LTE. When I plug it on to a USB port on my computer, it brings up the option to use as a disk driver, which I select. The files that pop up are DCIM, however, only the pictures up to June of 2012 are found. Anything after that are not there, even though they are there on my actual phone.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
It seems that with the JB update, UMS has been disabled when trying to attach the phone to an external device like my stereo, before the update all I had to do was plug the USB cable in and I could play music stored on my SD card. Now all I get is a message on the external device saying "USB Unabaliable". I can still see the SD card through a Windows 7 machine as long as I change the connection type to "Disk Drive", but that only works when attaching to the PC, (which has the latest HTC drivers installed".

So is there a way to re-enable UMS for portablility to connect to the car stereo? By default, HTC MTP is the only protocol available...

This was not a problem with ICS.

HTC Evo LTE 4G
Jelly Bean 4.1.1

Upvote 0
Hello mgfranz! Welcome to the forums:D

Although I am not familiar with your device, iirc, with JB, the UMS has been done away with. I know, it sucks. Same with my SGS3.
There are ways around it but require rooting the device.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think that is correct.
If desired, you can check out your device forum here:
HTC Evo 4G LTE - Android Forums

Lots of folks around here I know have that device and perhaps can chime in also:)

Upvote 0
I have a Evo phone and was told the ROM is corrupt. The only thing which well is the bluetooth and bringing up messages its slow. Occasionally a message says I need to reformat the phone "and data may be lost". I need to back up my precious pictures.

It seems the HTC Synch program won't transfer my pix to my computer, and Android File Transfer allows my 1,501 pix, but it won't copy to my hard drive.

HELP !

How can I get these pix onto a computer ?

Upvote 0
i dont see how you can have over thousand photographs on the phone without an sd card, 'course I have been wrong before.. :eek:

when you say you dont "think" there is an SD card, what qualifies you to say that? have you taken the cover off to see?

Is this phone rooted? are you the owner or are you asking these questions for someone else? curious as in your phone profile there it does not list the 4G lte...

Upvote 0
Try to transfer the pictures in small batches. Don't do it en-mass.

Also reboot the phone and reboot the computer.

If that doesn't work, on your computer go to the control panel, install / uninstall programs / uninstall anything that says HTC. Plug your phone back in and it should automatically reload the necessary drivers. See if that clears it up.

I've tried to move a couple hundred from the SD card en-mass, and ran into problems. Moving in small batches solved that problem for me. :)

I don't think there should be any difference between an external SD or the internal memory.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
not sure what "them" is referring to, but if you have files on your phone, there are many ways to transfer them to the computer.

dropbox
wifi file explorer
google drive
sky drive
good ol' hook up to computer thru usb
BT.

I dont see the little usb icon at the top on my phone ..it charges but even though its listed as "F" drive in "My Computer", it says to "Please insert a disk into drive F" !!!!! It used to work ..and no, its not currently set to "Charge Only". I chose to mount as "Disk Drive" ..............now answer me that one. I have a ton of stuff to move from my SD card to my PC!!! Why with something so simple I want to download other stuff ..there wasnt any updates on this phone ..and I dont think there were any updates for PC ...so how can it just stop working like that?? I can access the stuff on my phone ..so the SD card is functioning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones