• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mounting Galaxy S in Linux (Ubuntu)

stephen67

Aug 17, 2010
I followed the advise I read here for the G1, but it did not work.

I mount the card, switch to idle, connect the usb and then I see a usb icon referencing Samsung Kies.

Nothing is showing under media on my Ubuntu PC.

It seems that only a connection to this windows software is allowed.

Can someone help?

Stephen

Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging.
So you have that enabled, as well as setting it to ask you the connection type by going to Settings -> About Phone -> USB Settings

Then plug your cable in, drag down the notification bar and choose to enable drag/drop file sharing, or whatever it's called, and press Mount.

Upvote 0
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging.
So you have that enabled, as well as setting it to ask you the connection type by going to Settings -> About Phone -> USB Settings

Then plug your cable in, drag down the notification bar and choose to enable drag/drop file sharing, or whatever it's called, and press Mount.

I followed this. Thank you.

But I am still short of having this work.

My Ubuntu box never mounted the USB device. I tried it on my Windows XP laptop, and Windows went through the new hardware install routine.

The Galaxy offered me four options for the USB connection:

Samsung Kies
Media Player
Mass Storage
PC Internet

I chose Mass Storage and later tried PC Internet.

In Windows Explorer I get two drive letters, but when I click on either one of them, a window opens and I am prompted to insert a disk in the drive.

In the Galaxy I tried unmounting and mounting, but no effect.

Suggestions?

Please and thank you.

Upvote 0
I found a solution!

Thanks to jgorkos on the Ubuntu Forums:

Re: Samsung Galaxy i9000 not recognized
I struggled with this too. There is one step left on the phone after you plug it in that you need to take.

Here's how I got it to work, using Lucid Lynx Kubuntu. Surely a Gnome desktop will be similar.

1) On the phone, go to Settings->Applications->USB Settings and select the "Mass Storage" Options.
2) Go back to Settings->Applications->Development and select "Stay Awake"

3) Plug in your USB cable to the phone and computer.
The phone will say "USB Connected in the status bar at the top, and a USB symbol will appear.
4) Drag down the notification bar from the top and hit the "USB Connected: Select to copy files to/from your computer"
5) You get a new window with "USB Connected: You have connected your phone to your Computer via USB. Select "Mount" if you want to copy files between your computer and your phone's SD card." Select MOUNT.

6) Your notification applet on your computer will squawk about TWO new drives being attached. There will be a little one, and a big one. Mount the bigger of the two.

There will be a selection of existing directories/folders (if you think folders, stay off my lawn):
Android
Bluetooth
DCIM
kindle
mobi_drm
sd
slacker
twc-cache

If you want to add music, create a new directory (folder, youngster) called "Music" and copy your music into it.
Don't forget to use the device notification applet/command line/etc to unmount the drive when you're done copying.
7) Finally, drag down the notification bar on the phone again and hit "Turn off USB Storage" to tell the phone to stop making the SD card available to the host PC. After you confirm that, your card will be scanned for new media, and it will be available for your consumption via the Music Player.

Enjoy your new Galaxy S/Vibrant/Whatever your carrier calls it. I know I am.

Upvote 0
Are we going to require this dance each time we want to connect our phone to our desktop or laptop linux? If so, that is a real crock of shot.

Once I've done this dance, I can only access the mu-SD storage. I cannot see the internal phone storage ... that in spite of having added two devices to my ubuntu system. I'm wanting to harvest pix and other things from the "phone storage" to the "muSD storage" or from either phone store onto my desktop. How do I get to access the internal store from ubuntu linux?

Linux to linux -- shouldn't this be incredibly (sic) easy?

~~~ 0;-Dan

Upvote 0
Are we going to require this dance each time we want to connect our phone to our desktop or laptop linux? If so, that is a real crock of shot...

I agree. Samsung should make it easy for Ubuntu users to connect their PCs to their phones. This is already very easy with an iPhone, support is built right in.

Perhaps Samsung could start by porting their Kies application to Linux. Yes, that would be a good start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones