• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Movie playback questions??

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think I'm allowed to post links to this so I'll just describe it. There is blackberry site that I have used for the past year to download movies to put on phones. They are mp4 files. They play flawlessly on my droid X, but on the xoom, the movies aren't very smooth at all. File sizes are about 700 mebabytes each. The next question is what format will play nice with the xoom. I would like to start ripping my own DVD's to take with me, but I would like to know which ones are going to look good before I do it.

I don't think I'm allowed to post links to this so I'll just describe it. There is blackberry site that I have used for the past year to download movies to put on phones. They are mp4 files. They play flawlessly on my droid X, but on the xoom, the movies aren't very smooth at all. File sizes are about 700 mebabytes each. The next question is what format will play nice with the xoom. I would like to start ripping my own DVD's to take with me, but I would like to know which ones are going to look good before I do it.

theres a software/codec issue with the xoom right now.

it has problems playing most videos right now unless there ina very specific formats.

before anyone squawks about high profile h264 id like to point out that the tegra 2 is capable of it.

the notion ink adam recently recieved an update that fixed most of its play back issues and it can now play 720p high profile h264 all the live long day. (same hardware as the xoom).

also nvidia themselves demoed a tablet playing high profile 1080p h264 up to 10 megs a sec and 720p is up to 20megs a sec iirc.

so basically until we get an update fixing it for us (or till notion inks software gets ported over) your best bet is to reencode as h264 baseline. that should work for the time being.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones