• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moving Apps To Sd

arkansawdave74

Android Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2014
Truth or Consequences, NM
CONCLUSION:
Over 13gb of apps with 6gb still free on internal. Yay!
Screenshot_2015-09-16-10-12-58.png

METHOD 1:
Link2sd Plus

(special thanks to @ravenslight and @DeadDude for all the help with Link2sd Plus)

Link2sd Plus ($2.35 in playstore) is the recommended (not by me) method for beginners. With it, you can move the whole app and all of its data. You'll need an ext4 partition on your sd card to use it. Instructions for partitioning with Aparted can be found on page 3 of this thread, no computer required. (compliments of @ravenslight)
Instructions for using link2sd plus can be found here:
http://rootmyandroid.org/how-to-use-link2sd-tutorial-guide.html/
Instructions verified by @DeadDude (thanks, man)

When you use Link2sd Plus, after linking the app to the external SD card with the link option at the bottom of the app's link page (only available in paid version), the app's data folder will still be visible in the internal SD Android folder. If you look at the properties of the app's data folder, it will say that it is still the same size as it was before you linked it. This is misleading. The actual change in storage size can be seen in Settings/Storage in the "Available" section of the internal storage.

METHOD 2: Only good for moving large data folders.
Xposed Framework/Obb On SD
(my personal choice)

READ ENTIRE POST.

Here are links to get Obb on SD for 5.1 ROMs on the Zmax: Flash the sdk22 zip, install the 2 apks, open Xposed Installer in app drawer, enable Obb on SD in the modules section and reboot. Then, using a file manager, move the data or obb folder (inside the Android folder) of the desired app to the same path on the external sd that they were in in the internal SD. That's all you have to do. Obb On SD will do the rest. To move the app back to internal, just move the app's data folder back to where it came from in emulated/0/Android/(data or obb) directory and overwrite the folder that has the same name there.

THESE DOWNLOAD LINKS ARE ONLY FOR 5.1 and 6.0 ROMS ON THE ZTE ZMAX!! MAKE A BACKUP FIRST AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!! There is a link at the bottom for KitKat ROMs. It's a very different (a little easier) process.

Xposed sdk22 v82 arm zip for 5.1 ROMs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fd3zmd1dl3jldwk/xposed-v82-sdk22-arm.zip
MD5:
eec47c308442e389517b40b54ebc0784

XPOSED sdk23 v82 arm zip for 6.0 ROMs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t2npa1whefjj2t0/xposed-v82-sdk23-arm.zip
MD5:
32154f4697d2003c772ed58b596a9f3a

Xposed Uninstaller Arm zip:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0p7az0ftglw29a7/xposed-uninstaller-arm.zip
MD5: 41e2a22dc135c17a3cb1dc9f4c2e783a

Xposed Installer 3.0 Alpha4 apk:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ncy37k2u0uroi7u/XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk
MD5: 7ff821c9c916622206862170a4c0c197

Obb On SD apk
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sc7zt4cuax04f2v/Obb_On_SD_0.3.2_5.apk
MD5: 6d5ed6ce8e23ac3fe3da908c67a51204

BEFORE INSTALLING OTHER MODULES ON XPOSED LOLLIPOP AND MARSHMALLOW!
Use this list of working modules to be safe(r).
SOME MODULES CAUSE BOOTLOOPS !!
Lollipop
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/discussion-xposed-modules-5-1-lolipop-t3075257

Marshmallow
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/unofficial-list-modules-xposed-t3249162

If you're running a Kitkat or stock rom:
http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer
Get version 2.6.1. Download and install Obb on SD in the "Downloads" section of the Xposed Installer app. Enable it in the "Modules" section and reboot. Then, follow instructions above for moving desired app(s)' data folder to external SD card.

ORIGINAL POST

I'm looking for successful ways to move apps to SD on the Zmax. Please post the methods or hacks that you've had success with here. I'm hoping for a method that doesn't require partitioning, but if it does, still post it.

Last edited:
The ZMax may be my all time favorite phone, and I've had some great ones (S4, S5, S5 Sport), but it won't truly become a keeper for me until I am able to move large games to the external sd card. I've tried xposed obb on sd module, but the ZMax goes nutz!

I'm looking for successful ways to move apps to SD on the Zmax. Please post the methods or hacks that you've had success with here. I'm hoping for a method that doesn't require partitioning, but if it does, still post it. I'll do whatever I have to do to make my Zmax all mine!! Wuahaahaa!!

All i have to say is one app name (link2sd) from the google play store it does its job great. i never really pay for app. but i really liked this app and what it can do. Heres the google play link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD

Reactions: arkansawdave74
Upvote 0
I've used aparted to make the partition, I don't have computer either, it was just aparted didn't want to work on the custom ROM but will on stock rom. Then was able to use link2sd to its fullest. However, before I figured that out I did use link2sd with the second partition as a fat32. Plus u can use link2sd to move obb and external data files to either partition

Sorry, responded to ya in other forum before realizing u started this one

Upvote 0
OK, here's the scoop so far on link2sd. I got it from playstore and it said it had a new feature to link to obb and data files on the external sd. When I tried it, it said that that feature was only available on the paid version. So, I got the paid version. Installed and tried to link Real Racing 3 to the SD card. It took the appropriate amount of time moving the data folder (2.64 gigs) to the SD card, but when it was finished and claimed to have linked it properly, the game said it needed to download the data. I selected download and it crashed. I checked, and the data folder on the SD card said 0 bytes. The data on internal was still 2.64 gigs, so I don't know what it was doing while it claimed to be moving the folder. I tried to unlink and it error ed, saying not enough storage, although I had 3.41 gigs available on internal and over 20 gigs available on external. I cleared data on link2sd and force stopped it. Tried to unlink again with same error. Uninstalled link2sd and checked internal Real Racing 3 data folder size and suddenly it was around 100mb. Can't figure out where it's data went. I copied a RR3 backup data folder (thank goodness I made 1)to internal/android/data and tried the game again. Crashed again. Cleared cache and force stopped it. Tried it again and it crashed again. I restored a twrp backup and all is fine now, but link2sd plus failed to link app data to the 1st partition of the SD card on the Zmax. I am running the CM based PAC 5.1 lollipop rom. I would restore a butternoob v2 backup and try again, but my 64 gig card doesn't work in Stock based ROMs. I also would try to partition an ext4 partition in my SD card, but they say aparted will only work in Stock based ROMs and I'm not sure if aparted would recognize my 64 gig while running in a stock rom that doesn't.

Reactions: 9h0s7
Upvote 0
My metropcs zmax stock has always recognized my 64gb sd card after formating it in the phone. I currently use link2sd on the synthetic ROM. I have 5 games linked including their obb and external data. Did u happen to reboot after the mounting scripts was created and/or after linking data? I know it doesn't say to after linking an app or its data but I do as a safe measure.

Plus u need to have the switcher flashed for system r/w for link2sd to properly create mount scripts

Upvote 0
My metropcs zmax stock has always recognized my 64gb sd card after formating it in the phone. I currently use link2sd on the synthetic ROM. I have 5 games linked including their obb and external data. Did u happen to reboot after the mounting scripts was created and/or after linking data? I know it doesn't say to after linking an app or its data but I do as a safe measure.

Plus u need to have the switcher flashed for system r/w for link2sd to properly create mount scripts
No I didn't reboot, and no, I didn't flash the switcher. Ugh!! Guess I'll go try again, but I don't think it will work... Man I sure appreciate your input!! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Was no good... RR3 crashing again and data is still in internal even though link2sd claims it linked it over successfully. Was worth a try though. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and format my card and make an ext4 partition so I can try link2sd the right way... But that'll be a tale for another day...

EDIT: This time though, with the switcher flashed, it unlinked just fine and RR3 is not crashing anymore....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was no good... RR3 crashing again and data is still in internal even though link2sd claims it linked it over successfully. Was worth a try though. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and format my card and make an ext4 partition so I can try link2sd the right way... But that'll be a tale for another day...

EDIT: This time though, with the switcher flashed, it unlinked just fine and RR3 is not crashing anymore....

I installed rr3, linked successfully, and runs.

I have synthetic ROM with the bunkermod kernel, the switcher zip flashed, and link2sd pro, 2 partitions on SD with the second an ext4

I installed rr3, went to link2sd, clicked rr3, clicked link to sd, checked all 4 boxes n linked, launched app n let it download its stuff, went back to link2sd rr3 scrolled down and clicked the other link to SD choose first partition let it do its thing, launched app again (first go it did close but second go it ran flawlessly).

Hope this helps out. If u don't have computer to make ext4 partition aparted on stock ROM will do it, just remember to make a backup of ur current ROM first and I'd switched flash the restore before anything else

Upvote 0

I have synthetic ROM with the bunkermod kernel, the switcher zip flashed, and link2sd pro, 2 partitions on SD with the second an ext4

I installed rr3, went to link2sd, clicked rr3, clicked link to sd, checked all 4 boxes n linked, launched app n let it download its stuff, went back to link2sd rr3 scrolled down and clicked the other link to SD choose first partition let it do its thing, launched app again (first go it did close but second go it ran flawlessly).

Hope this helps out. If u don't have computer to make ext4 partition aparted on stock ROM will do it, just remember to make a backup of ur current ROM first and I'd switched flash the restore before anything else
I was just gonna look up and see if twrp will make an ext4 partition, but I guess I should go ahead and format it on butternoob so that it will work in Stock roms 1st. Thanx 4 all ur help.

Upvote 0

Well, I flashed Synthetic OS just so I could see if it would work for me without partitioning. It didn't work and it gave me a huge failure report that took 5 screenshots to get it all. If anyone wants to see them let me know and I'll post them. I'm going to go use a laptop at the library to store my sdcard files while I partition so at least I won't lose anything in the process. I'll either do that today or I may wait til Monday. Hey @ravenslight, if you have time and it's not too much trouble I was wondering if you might try linking just the data folder to your 1st fat32 partition without linking the other stuff. That's what I'm having to try to do (and failing) without the 2nd partition. That would tell me if I'm wasting my time partitioning.

Also, you said you were using the bunkermod kernel. I can't seem to find anything about it. Should I look through the Root /ZTE/Zmax threads again? I may have missed it. If you may know where it is, could you please drop me a link or tell me where I might find it? Is it over-clocked? I was just wondering. I didn't know there are any custom lollipop kernels out for the Zmax. Thank you very much!!

Upvote 0
Well, I flashed Synthetic OS just so I could see if it would work for me without partitioning. It didn't work and it gave me a huge failure report that took 5 screenshots to get it all. If anyone wants to see them let me know and I'll post them. I'm going to go use a laptop at the library to store my sdcard files while I partition so at least I won't lose anything in the process. I'll either do that today or I may wait til Monday. Hey @ravenslight, if you have time and it's not too much trouble I was wondering if you might try linking just the data folder to your 1st fat32 partition without linking the other stuff. That's what I'm having to try to do (and failing) without the 2nd partition. That would tell me if I'm wasting my time partitioning.

Also, you said you were using the bunkermod kernel. I can't seem to find anything about it. Should I look through the Root /ZTE/Zmax threads again? I may have missed it. If you may know where it is, could you please drop me a link or tell me where I might find it? Is it over-clocked? I was just wondering. I didn't know there are any custom lollipop kernels out for the Zmax. Thank you very much!!

Here's the bunkermod link http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/929674/

I have had link2sd working before this kernel

I'll check the other thing when I get home later, at work right now

Upvote 0
I just DL tapped out Simpsons game and only moved data to 1st partition and it ran flawlessly.

Question are you flashing the restore zip at any time? I keep mine where I am switched all the time

Well, my butt's been known to make system changes when I'm not looking so I don't leave it switched all the time, but when I'm working on something I leave it switched. I had it switched on Synthetic OS when it failed to link or even move the folder. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to partition the SD card to get it to work.

Upvote 0
Even though you were able 2 link just the data folder to the 1st partition, my case will continue to be different from yours until I get an ext4 partition. I've always been able to make my phone do what I want it to do no matter how much I have 2 learn in order to figure out how... No wait... I never could make my S5 Sport into a free hotspot no matter how much I learned, but I sure learned a lot trying. I have no doubt that I will get this phone to move apps to sd. If it's possible, I will get it. I actually know quite a bit about ways to make a phone move apps to sd. Had to learn it for the L70, and the F6. But unfortunately the easiest way is not working on this phone. But that's okay... The easiest way is not the best way.... Xposed obb on sd worked great but confuses the storage size values. I actually learned to partition with Aparted on the F6. But I'll tell you what, Jellybean 4.3 is my favorite OS. On the cheap little Kyocera Hydro Life with 4.3, I could have as many games and apps as I wanted with no mods at all. That would be my favorite phone if only some devs would have taken interest in it. I can't understand why none did though. I bet it gets the same benchmark scores as the Zmax with its little Snapdragon 200, plus waterproof, dustproof, heatproof, impact resistant....I think the locked bootloader had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have 2 64gb SD cards and my zmax reads both of them on the stock ROM. When I first got my zmax though it only recognized one of them(not the one I wanted to use) even though they were both formatted fat32. I backed up all my files to my hard drive then formatted the card inside the phone and put all my files back on it and then it worked like normal. Also, you may have reformat your SD card(1st partition fat32 2nd partition ext4) in order to get link2sd to work correctly. I myself have never used it with a card that wasn't partitioned. Also, I can't say for sure that it will work on all the custom ROMs, but I'm on Resurrection Remix and Aparted is working fine for me.

Attachments

• 1439768131658.jpg
    1439768131658.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
Screenshot_2015-08-16-19-40-24.png
I have 2 64gb SD cards and my zmax reads both of them on the stock ROM. When I first got my zmax though it only recognized one of them(not the one I wanted to use) even though they were both formatted fat32. I backed up all my files to my hard drive then formatted the card inside the phone and put all my files back on it and then it worked like normal. Also, you may have reformat your SD card(1st partition fat32 2nd partition ext4) in order to get link2sd to work correctly. I myself have never used it with a card that wasn't partitioned. Also, I can't say for sure that it will work on all the custom ROMs, but I'm on Resurrection Remix and Aparted is working fine for me.
Well I just got back from the library. Stock roms read my 64gig now. I found that our TWRP won't partition... Says it can't find the device to partition. So I used aparted on butternoob and made a 12 gig ext4 partition. I linked Real Racing 3 on the walk back and it said it was successful. I just got back so I haven't messed with it yet, but I did check the size of its data folder in my internal.... It's still 2.63 gigs. Do you have to hit move also, or just link? Oh well, I'll play with it a bit and see if I can get that huge folder to the ext4 partition... Gonna eat and cool down a bit first. I just hope it's not a ROM related problem... I really like this PAC ROM. I wouldn't mind checking out some others though... Any recommendations?

Upvote 0

When I tried aparted, the only thing that didn't work was formating 2nd partition ext on our ROMs other than stock

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones