• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving from Desire to Galaxy S!

TechGrin

May 26, 2010
Hi guys,

Just saying hello!

I had an HTC Desire for about 3 months, after previously owning an iPhone 3GS.

Although the Desire is a great handset, there were a few things that I just wasn't happy with. Battery life was terrible, the screen was very 'pinky', and the much talked about 720p video recording which came with Froyo was such a disappointment.

So after 3 months I was getting really tired of it. I knew I wanted to stay with android(I doubt I could ever go back to iOS), but also knew I didn't want to stay Desire!

Then I played with a friends Galaxy, and couldn't believe the video recording quality and screen!

So I managed to sell the Desire within a day of putting it on another forum, and I should hopefully have a Galaxy S by Monday afternoon!

Cant wait!

Tweaks and UI improvements - first of all Root, Modaco custom ROM removing some of the inbuilt stuff that I didn't use, Widget Locker to replace inbuilt lockscreen (also requires No Lock app to stop the TouchWiz lockscreen from messing with stuff), Power Strip, LauncherPro Plus, ReScan Media (Root version) to turn off media scanning on boot and instead manually allow it, One Click Lag Fix (although the Voodoo lag fix V2 soon in public beta sounds even better), clockworkmod recovery, titanium backup...

Thankfully my GPS is perfect for my use, so I haven't had to also do the Epic 4G GPS fix, I also haven't had to do any of the audio fixes either since I almost always listen to music via line-out in my car.

Currently I find it great for day-to-day use, but there is still quite a bit I'm looking forward to - Voodoo Lag Fix sounds like a step up, 2.2, cyanogenmod ROM (so I can finally use my Datel Retro Wireless controller with the emulators).

Upvote 0
ah yes, cyanogenmod.. been drooling over that for a while as well. Have you tried autokiller? Maybe it's just me but my phone now seriously zips after putting it on aggressive mode.. Now trying to find some ways of improving battery life, thinking about getting setcpu to underclock the phone. Anyone tried it yet?

sorry if it's becoming off topic guys..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones