• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving on from Desire

I have been very happy with my HTC Desire since I bought it in March this year but now I'm too fed up with being limited to only very few apps on my phone even though I'm using App 2 SD. I'm not going to try and root the phone - that's not something I feel tech savvy enough to do.

So... I'm considering buying either the Samsung Galaxy S II or the HTC Sensation XE because they seem to be the best on the market at the moment. But which one should I get and would I get rid of the space issue altogether? (assuming I don't install hundreds of apps, etc.)

I use my phone for music, podcasts, radio, email, internet browsing and photos. Nothing out of the ordinary, I think. I think I like HTC Sense, but to be honest I'm not quite sure what an android would be like without it.

Any thoughts from more experienced users would be much appreciated.

I had the Desire and know about that problem with the small storage for apps ;)

Now I have about 1GB phone storage (Desire HD and Sensation).
And I have to say: No thinking about phone storage anymore :) 1GB is enought for apps.

With the DHD I did put the apps to SD card, with the Sensation I let all apps sitting on the phone storage :)
I see no reason to shove them to the SD card, some apps does this by themselves.

EDIT: My Sensation has 73 downloaded apps and 784MB free phone storage.

Harry

Upvote 0
To the Op:

I was in almost the exact same situation as you (Plus my wife needed a smartphone to replace her (not very) feature phone so opportunity for me to justify an upgrade :)) )

When I got my Desire i genuinely thought ... holy cow what can they make to better this? Well I now know.

I checked out the Sensy XE and the SG2 in a local store who let me have a play with both of them and while the XE is undoubtably a damn nice device the SG2 looked and felt a whole level up. I actually like TouchWhizz 4.0 (apart from the annoyance of having to have screen 1 as the default home screen ...grrrr why?). Although the new Sense looks and feels nice I spent most of my Desire days running LP Pro or Go Launcher as I never really liked sense much (the fixed shortcut bar at the bottom is my biggest gripe there.. I dont only want a bloody phone button there please!!)

In terms of overall use the XE was noticeably faster and smoother than the desire but my god the SG2 is fast! I mean really really fast. I have zero lag everything flows so well and launches nigh on instantly. I Liked the weight and metal feel of the Desire but the lack of weight and sheer sveltness (8.8mm!!) of the SG2 I think just adds to the gorgeousness of it. And that screen. Oh. My. God. That screen. Every single time i pull it out of my pocket I look at the screen and think wow! It just looks beeyootiful all the time! Even covered in fingerprint smudges :)

So basically Im a happy ex HTC owner who now cant stop caressing and drooling over my new SG2. Unless you really want the Beats Audio (mind you the SG2 sounds fine) I would say get the Sammy....you wont be dissapointed.

Reactions: tutmarie
Upvote 0
Every single time i pull it out of my pocket I look at the screen and think wow! It just looks beeyootiful all the time! Even covered in fingerprint smudges :)

So basically Im a happy ex HTC owner who now cant stop caressing and drooling over my new SG2. Unless you really want the Beats Audio (mind you the SG2 sounds fine) I would say get the Sammy....you wont be dissapointed.

Thanks for a great description :D You say you keep it in your pocket? The size is one thing I'm a bit worried about if going from Desire to SG2. I usually keep the phone in a leather thingy but sometimes put it in my jeans pocket. That's possible with the Desire but I'm worried the SG2 will be too big? I'm female so shirt pocket is not an option ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for a great description :D You say you keep it in your pocket? The size is one thing I'm a bit worried about if going from Desire to SG2. I usually keep the phone in a leather thingy but sometimes put it in my jeans pocket. That's possible with the Desire but I'm worried the SG2 will be too big? I'm female so shirt pocket is not an option ;)

You're most welcome. I actually cannot tell you just how pleased I am with the SG2! I keep it in my jeans pocket (front) and it is naked with no screen protector because I really dont want to hide the beauty of the phone - of course nothing else at all ever goes in that pocket. I always kept my Desire there too because it's where I feel my prized device is safest (Ive lost more than one phone out of top pockets in the past). Because the SG2 is so light and so thin it actually feels better in there than the Desire did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones