• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mp3 changing titles.

jzero

Lurker
Feb 20, 2019
I'm trying to use an old S2 as an mp3 player for a local community group.
This means creating specific Playlists to play in a specific order sometimes mixing tracks from a 2 disc album.
I can create the Playlist on pc but when it's transferred my phone ignores the Playlist title and separates then into 2 albums Disc1 & Disc 2 si therefore they are not in the correct order.... Aaaagh! Driving me nuts!
Also.. Do I have to have an sd card to save them? (no sim) All the other albums I transferred send to have vanished but when I plugged n to pc and opened phone they were all visible and then became visible on phone? Can't figure out what's going on. Can anyone help please? I realise it's an old phone but I wanted to donate it as an mp3 player to help them.

I'm trying to use an old S2 as an mp3 player for a local community group.
This means creating specific Playlists to play in a specific order sometimes mixing tracks from a 2 disc album.
I can create the Playlist on pc but when it's transferred my phone ignores the Playlist title and separates then into 2 albums Disc1 & Disc 2 si therefore they are not in the correct order.... Aaaagh! Driving me nuts!
Also.. Do I have to have an sd card to save them? (no sim) All the other albums I transferred send to have vanished but when I plugged n to pc and opened phone they were all visible and then became visible on phone? Can't figure out what's going on. Can anyone help please? I realise it's an old phone but I wanted to donate it as an mp3 player to help them.
Hi jzero and welcome to Android Forums! :D

I am going to make some general assumptions now. The Galaxy S2, i9100, is now, almost 8 years old and has 1GB of RAM and 16GB of internal phone storage which caters for both the operating system and about 6-10Gb of storage. It can also take up to a 32GB microSD card. The S2 ended it's update life on Android 4.1.2. I am assuming that the phone was Factory Data Reset and that you are now running only the most basic apps and that the phone is not rooted. Try installing an app called Stelio Player, free from the Play Store. Make sure that your music is stored in the phone's, "Music", folder and that each compilation disc is in a separate sub folder... i.e. ABCD disc1 folder and ABCD disc2 folder. Stelio then allows you to show tracks as, "All songs", "Artist", "Albums", "Genres", etc:

Upvote 0
Just to add some more random suggestions, I'd really stress that reference @ironass made on doing Factory Reset. And don't forget to remove your Google account too.
Given the amount of available system resources available on a S2 and that this apparently will be more of a single-purpose phone (media player), you'll want to make as much of those resources free for whichever media player app you've opted to use as its default so uninstall or disable as many apps as you can (be judicious but also don't go crazy and disable so many things that it limits basic functionality). Samsung included a 'Standard mode' and an 'Easy mode' buried in the Settings menu, you might find selecting Easy to be more suitable for this kind of situation.

But getting back to your original query, that playlist issue could be due to a number of different things. Depending on the application you used on your PC to create the playlists, it simply might not correspond with using them elsewhere. Some applications are more universally compatible, some more proprietary. Also, just which app are you using as your default media player? The Samsung default app? Google Play Music?. Third-party apps tend to have more functionality and more extensive feature sets so if it is a matter of metadata, do keep in mind that Windows or Mac (not knowing just what kind of computer you're using) handle such things differently than Android so there are always miscellaneous incompatibility issues. And instead of editing metadata on individual files (an issue if you eventually end up with a media library with hundreds or more of audio files), you might find it more prudent to just install a playlist creating app on that S2 and just make new, compatible playlists. If you don't want to go that route, there's also the question on which media player app you're using. There is no set rule that every app has to be equally capable at everything another app is, most have a lot of variance on functionality and appearance. You might find Stellio Player does work out better at finding your music files and handles your current playlists as is. I'll also suggest trying out the VLC app, it's free, no ads, and handles a really wide range of file types/codecs. And on a side note, since this is obviously just a retired phone you're bringing back to, if it is no longer tied to a Google account and access to the Play Store is problematic, you can use a source like apkmirror to manually sideload the necessary apps:
Stellio
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=stellio
VLC
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=vlc
Note that the latest versions 'might' not work on whichever version of Android that S2 is running so you might need to experiment to find the latest old version that does work. (Typically installing only from the Play Store is recommended, and the Play Store will determine just which app versions get installed on each respective Android install.)

As for managing your music library, it sounds like you're doing a lot of it through your computer. That's more of a convenience issue than a practical one since if you are using Mac or Windows, that also rely on entirely different file systems, there are limitations on what you can do on any device that's running a different operating system (in this case, Android). Samsung does include a basic file manager app, My Files, which is a more direct way to manage files and folders on your phone (just look in your Apps folder for 'My Files'). But My Files does, by design, have some integral limits on features and capabilities, with a plus being there are plenty of very feature-rich, third-party options.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones