• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MSL Code And Throttling

nrsrymj

Lurker
Apr 24, 2015
http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-bypass-sprint-proxies.744016/
http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-get-yor-msl-and-bypass-remove-throttling.831247/

^^^^^^
ok i used this method last November with Virgin Mobile. I called for my MSL and was given no trouble. For the life of me, I could not find out how to edit the Data Profile menu to complete the early step of disabling "rev. tunneling." Beyond that, the Multimedia menu only showed the RTSP information, with HTTPD nowhere to be found in any other menu. Nevertheless, did what I could, altering both the DSS menu and the Multimedia menu. I monitored my data usage, hit my cap, but was never throttled. EUREKA! A glorious few months

My phone was the LG Tribute 2 LS665. I was so impressed that I bought another one as a spare. Eventually, the first broke and is totally unusable. I switched my number to the new phone.

I then called to get my new MSL. I was told that a newish policy of requiring devices to be active for a year made my phone ineligible for the release of MSL. I leveraged my status as a
long time customer and eventually they caved.

I then repeated this process, was unable to disable rev. tunelling again, and HTTPD was no where to be found again. I followed the directions as close as I could just like before. But the throttle bypass failed.

A couple things:
1. My first phone was bought unopened at Walmart, which required a separate activation from Virgin Mobile's regular accounts. The second phone was bought unopened off of ebay.
2. In the DSS menu of the first phone, the DSS Server URL was zeroed as well, despite it not being a step in these instructions. I cannot recall if I did this myself or not. Nevertheless, throttling still happens in the new phone whether it is zeroed or kept as the default.

Any thoughts? This trick was SO AWESOME for about 9 months.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones