• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multitasking/screen rotation lock etc on Android

MrMister

Nov 15, 2010
Hi I'm thinking of moving from my current iPhone 4 to Android as little disappointed with 4S. Probably a Sensation, S2, Xperia Arc S or other top end Android phone.

So coming from iOS can I ask if Android has these and other features similar to iOS.

• Does it have multitasking and how does it work? iOS is simple double tap to see programs running and tap go reinstate.

• Does it have a rotation lock, and how? For portrait and/or landscape.

• Does it have music controls on the lock screen, and play in the background? so don't have to unlock phone, chose music player, skip then lock?

• Can you use headphones with a remote for music so can leave phone In pocket and control play/pause/skip/volume. Would Apple headphones that come with iPhone 4 work?

• Does it have a voice command? Not as much as Apples Siri I imagine, but voice commands? Especially in car for calling when I'm connected over Bluetooth

• I obviously use iTunes for syncing at the moment, but I also have an iMac. How do I use Android with an iMac? For syncing/backup, adding apps, adding music etc?

• Does Android have cover flow for music, can you browse using album art and show lyrics?

• How do you organise all you apps? iPhone uses folders, what does Android use/do?

• Are there any apps that are on iOS that you can't get for Android? Is there anything that iOS simply doesn't have over iOS?

I'll add more when I think of them! Sorry for the maybe simple questions but I've never messed with Android, also do all phones have the same way of doing the above?

Cheers
MrMrMr

I'll answer I few of them before heading out, hope someone can fill in the details/rest. Answers in bold

Hi I'm thinking of moving from my current iPhone 4 to Android as little disappointed with 4S. Probably a Sensation, S2, Xperia Arc S or other top end Android phone.

So coming from iOS can I ask if Android has these and other features similar to iOS.

Upvote 0
1. Android had proper multitasking long before iOS ever had their version. In truth, iOS was the last smartphone OS to implement multitasking, and they also had the worst form of it. Android task switcher is achieved by holding down the home button.

2. Yes it does. Launcher dependent though. Launchers are "home apps" which allow you to change the UI to your liking. You can make it look like iOS if you want if your comfortable with that. Launchers are interchangeable on a whim, but not all of them allow it. Samsung phones have a toggle on the notification drop down for portrait lock.

3. There are several different lockscreens for Android, and some allow "widgets". You can put a music widget on the lockscreens, and on the homescreens. On a side note, do you have an idea what widgets are? Since you come from iOS. Widgets are graphical apps that allow you to have controls or info on your homescreen, some are clock+weather widgets, info widgets, etc. See this thread for Android customized homescreens. You'll see different widgets used there. Some are music widgets that show album art and controls, some are info that show weather, along with nice graphics, etc.
http://androidforums.com/android-themes/4425-post-your-android-desktop-new-post.html

4. Yes. As long as you have a compatible headset for controls.

5. Yes it does. You can even have voice to text for SMS with the right apps

6. It doesnt have native sync with iTunes, but you can set Android mass memory to be read like a Mass Storage device, like flash drive. you can just copy your files into it like any flash drive.

7. Yes it shows album art (seriously, this feature has been available on phones even before iPods existed my n70 had it), As for lyrics, its app dependent. For example, I use Ubermusic, it doesnt support lyrics, but I just like its looks. PowerAMP supports lyrics though, and MixZing.

8. This is launcher dependent, as well, if it supports folders only on homescreens, or if also inside app drawer (I personally dont use folders on app drawer, just homescreen). And well, consider that Android has been using folders even before iOS implemented their versions. Android folders also have no limitations on how many apps could be put in them. I seem to remember iOS had that limitation.

9. None that I know off, they may have different names or developers but most have their own versions of apps that do the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones