• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music Output Very Low

cyberrico

Jul 23, 2011
Even at near max volume, the sound output on my Note 3 is very low.

At first I thought I just had bad headphones, so I kept buying new ones. Nope. Then I thought there was something wrong with my hearing, so I went to the doctor. Nope.

I blew it off for awhile.

I just got a new car with bluetooth built in. Whether I listen to Pandora or mp3s on my device, the sound output is very low. I need to crank it up all the way to hear it at a reasonable volume. Yes, the volume on my device is turned up.

Any thoughts?

Unless...something is wrong with your device or equipment...this is the case:

Samsung, in generally, has lowered the output gain on every device since approx, 2012.. to save young peoples ears according to instructions/regulations of the EU.. and others.

I, personally, think Samsung has overdone this, as they are like 10 dB lower than other brands..as you've noticed.
Other brands output gain is close to max allowed, peak will then go above max level! Samsung lower it by 10 dB so peak will not pass max output level.

I noticed the volume level sunk remarkably when I had my Galaxy SII and upgraded from 2.3.6 to 4.0..
Sooo, that gave me a good reason to root, and put in amplifier app. Everything back to normal output.

What to do now? Well, that depends on you. Probably best solution is to root (I have not)

My solution is this, the amazing Fiio E6 amp. In use every day and worth every penny! Also used paired with a portable BT receiver ala this for use with my stereo in livingroom.

Hope this respond give you some answers.

All the best..

Upvote 0
Well, I was going to upgrade to the Galaxy Note 5 when it comes out but if Samsung is going to be all wimpy about hurting our ears, I'm going to have to move on to another brand.

In the 80's we used to crank it up. In our cars, on our headphones, our concerts were ridiculously loud, and I don't know of anyone who suffered hearing loss because of it.

I don't listen to music that loud anymore but I don't want to have to crank it up all the way for normal listening volume nor do I want to purchase an external amp.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones