• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music player out of order.

Well, here's what I'm thinking...

Your file names are probably all based on the track number of the CD, followed by the name of the song. What I've discovered over the years is that Windows Media files don't play real nice with IDv2 tags. Sometimes Windows Media Player will read the tags fine, sometimes it won't, and sometimes it will mess them up.

What may be happening is that all your IDv2 tags are either unreadable by your Music Player or they may be IDv3 tags (which I've also discovered are not altogether compatible with Music Player, although an iPod reads 'em fine). I've come across a program for Windows called Mp3tag (free) that will allow you to re-edit the tag information on your songs. It will also help you add album art from Amazon.com, although you can also add your own art manually.

Be aware, if you have a lot of music files this will take some time. However, you can edit tags in a group method (based on album) by highlighting all of the songs from the same album. It won't edit track numbers or individual titles, but it will at least let you edit artist name, album name, and year of release.

This is by no means a perfect solution, and it's pretty time-consuming (I have about 400+ songs on my Captivate, and there are some I still haven't gotten around to editing). But the upshot of this is that Music Player will properly read the tags instead of the filename, and your songs should go back into alphabetical order.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: techyguy
Upvote 0
WMA music was organized just fine before the 2.3 update. Why am I required to alter tags, when they were organized just fine in 2.2.

Nothing has changed with the way I burn music, but all music, even new music is out of order ONLY on my Android.

I am sick and tired of altering my Captivate Phone just to get it to work. I must have spend 100 Hours over the past year on Captivate issues.

What is the sane way to fix this. I don't want to have to keep fiddling with configuration files. Maybe I "upgrade" back to 2.2.

Upvote 0
I thank you falcon7204.

Does anyone know a good way to fix this issue? This problem only started after the 2.3 update.

I don't want to configure 500 songs, individually, or have to use a 3rd party program. Some album's songs all play as one song. I'd like all the songs to play as they would from a CD.

Upvote 0
Thank you for this thread! I was very frustrated and not able to find an answer to my problem. Listening to audio books int he car (through bluetooth) was becoming very frustrating.

I see there is a "shuffle" button on the player screen.

media_shuffle.png

I now have disabled it.

2013-01-10%2014.11.18.png

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. What I did to fix it was sort by Artist, when the CDs of that artist show up click the triangle to the right of the CD you want to play, and a menu comes up that says "Play, Add to queue, Add to Playlist, More by Artist, shop by artist." Click the "Play" selection and the CD plays in order.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones