• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Player that sorts by "Album Artist"

Pez

Aug 21, 2010
Are there any players on the market that will allow me to sort my collection by "Album Artist" rather than simply "Artist"? I have spent hours searching and there are loads of people asking the same question in old threads but no answers.

Surely this must be a really basic thing to add in for a programmer? Without this option, anyone who has their music correctly tagged ends up with loads of extra entries in the list. Any song that has artist Feat. artist ends up with their own entry!

Its just a different tag to sort by! Why is it so difficult?? Have to admit, iProducts win on this one...

I use PowerAMP Pro for all my music MP3's. It will do what you ask and much, much more. You can edit the tags as wells, within the apps and create your own genres too. I love it.

I use Poweramp and it does NOT make use of the 'album artist' tag. In the listings it provides you will see that, for example, Deep Purple's 20 Greatest will have 'Deep Purple' as the artist. But check an album of various artists and the 'album artist' will be a random artist that happens to be on that album.

It's a little annoying to me as I have several albums like this and I have tagged the 'album artist' as 'Various'. Poweramp doesn't display this so it can get a little confusing. Check out the Poweramp forums if you don't believe me.

Dave

Upvote 0
Ok, I've done more searching and it looks like this is an android problem, not a problem with any particular app. The android mediastore doesn't pass on the album artist tag, so no player will be able to sort properly until the android bug is fixed.
Pull your fingers out google!!!

Upvote 0
More info here. I don't use that feature, I just "play all" randomly.

I also just use 'play all randomly' - great 'cos then you get to hear loads of stuff that you haven't heard in years. But then I'll hear something and wonder what it's called/what album it's on etc. If it happens to be on a 'various artists' album, say called 'VA', it'll be listed as 'VA' album name, 'random artist from one of the tracks' album artist, though the track artist will be correct. Not a showstopper for me but WHY is it so difficult to do this right? Especially when I've taken the trouble to go through all my 300+ albums and make sure that all the tags are correct.

Dave

Upvote 0
dvhttn;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:5586158" said:
5586158[/URL]"]5586158[/URL]]I use Poweramp and it does NOT make use of the 'album artist' tag. In the listings it provides you will see that, for example, Deep Purple's 20 Greatest will have 'Deep Purple' as the artist. But check an album of various artists and the 'album artist' will be a random artist that happens to be on that album.

It's a little annoying to me as I have several albums like this and I have tagged the 'album artist' as 'Various'. Poweramp doesn't display this so it can get a little confusing. Check out the Poweramp forums if you don't believe me.

Dave

Ok, I know what you mean and PowerAMP Pro will allow you to edit the tages of each song. Once you do this, it will show in the correct places as you specified. Have a look at the below screen shots.

Power AMP Album list.jpg

PowerAMP Pro Tags.jpg

Power AMP Edit-Tag Window.jpg

Power AMP Tag-label window.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok, I know what you mean and PowerAMP Pro will allow you to edit the tages of each song. Once you do this, it will show in the correct places as you specified. Have a look at the below screen shots ...

Well, your screen shots are too small to see properly but I do have Poweramp Pro and am able to edit the tags - though I do this on my PC. If you edit with Poweramp Pro you'll see it does not see the 'album artist' tag. This is the root of the whole issue. There is no way to add this with Poweramp and it does nothing with it. But it seems as though this is an Android issue.

So, it is not the artist tag associated with the song. It's the 'album artist', two very different tags.

Dave

Upvote 0
I use Poweramp and it does NOT make use of the 'album artist' tag. In the listings it provides you will see that, for example, Deep Purple's 20 Greatest will have 'Deep Purple' as the artist. But check an album of various artists and the 'album artist' will be a random artist that happens to be on that album.

Dave

Rocket Music Player now allows you to sort/display by album artist by enabling the tab "Settings - Tab - Album Artist".

Here's a video on the feature, released in the 3.2 version of Rocket Player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqmvrK6xRo

Upvote 0
MediaMonkey (free) supports Artist and Album Artists. I primarily sort by Album Artist.

The key thing about MediaMonkey (for me) is that if you use the free MediaMonkey for Windows (MMW) on your PC and the free MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) you can sync your desired subset of media, playlists, etc. For me, it's much easier to download music and create playlists on a PC than a phone. Sync can be one-directional (either way) or bidirectional. It's the only PC-Android total solution that I know of (like the desktop-iPhone iTunes solution, but more flexible). I wrote extensively about it here.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...oid-sync-solution-like-itunes-but-better.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones