• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My 6 year old 55" Samsung LED died. Replacement?

AppleUser

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2011
Reactions: ocnbrze
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i usually get most of my tech from Best Buy. they will also price match! the catch is is that it has to be the exact model. they will match amazon as well.

for me i am looking for a 65" OLED type tv. so far my research has been pointing me to the Sony Bravia xr series.....probably this one:

it has the darkest black in my opinion. when you can get it really black, the colors just pop. it is pretty good compared to the LG's or Samsung. but to get the black as dark as the Sony's you are paying up into the $3,000.00's!!! they are nice, but i can get that at a much cheaper price in the Sony tvs.

they said that if it goes on sale any more than this for black friday, i can come back and get credit for the difference!!! i might get it this weekend.

for you maybe this one:

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I recently replaced my TV. The experience of shopping them on the net was painful. For every positive review I could find a negative or a better TV suggestion. Trying to find the features I wanted in the price range I was willing to buy was a struggle. Ultimately I paid a bit more than I had intended but I'm happy with my purchase. It's not the top rated and blow your socks off tech but there is a limit to how much I want to invest in a TV that I know will not be the last I purchase.

I don't envy anyone shopping TVs. It's a difficult task and everyone has a better unit to offer. I also purchase most of my tech from Best Buy and was very happy with my TV shopping experience there as well as their delivery service.

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect TV for your replacement.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
As far as LCD flat panels go, the older ones from circa 2009-10 were a lot better made, with matte displays, no easily obsolete 'smart' apps, which you could just as easily use a Roku for and have better support, and with CCFL backlighting that not only has better colours and blacks, but lasts longer than the infamous Samsung LED strips that short or die causing a myriad problems. Used flat panel TVs from that era are super cheap secondhand, ranging from $20-60 for a 37" set, but I've seen some around 45" going for $10 at Goodwill.

I don't know why Plasmas are extinct. Never seen one used anywhere, and nobody owns one. The only one I remember was a 55" Pioneer my stepdad had that weighed a ton, but had a picture that would rival OLED. He purchased it new around 2007 or 2008, and it's still running fine at a family member of his that he gave it to. Wish I took the offer for it when he asked me, but at the time I lived in a trailer that you'd never get a 55" through the door much less fit anywhere.

I got turned off of Samsung TVs after hearing how they place capacitors of dubious brands near very hot heatsinks, almost like they expect them to dry out.

That said, I am using CRTs this day and age. Probably will outlive me, and since most content I watch is SD or black and white, I ain't missing much. Interested in how Babylon 5 looks on a CRT, being period correct time frame. It looked unwatchable (especially the CGI) on anything LCD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones