• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Desire broke today, only 33 days old.

gpshslax

Dec 3, 2010
Cushing, OK
My new desire, just got it December 2nd, broke today for no apparent reason. I was mid text message when the screen shut off. I assumed I must have hit the power button by mistake and turned of the screen, but try as I might I could not get it to power back on.

The battery was full at the time. I tried the power button several times. I pulled and reinstalled the battery twice. Tried pluggin it in. No luck. In fact the led doesn't even light up when I plug it in. It literaly just turned into a paper weight for pretty much no reason at all.

Sadness ensued. Alltel is going to replace it free of charge as a DOA even though I'm technically after the 30 day period. I'm going to have to front the cost of the replacement though and they are going to refund the cost and reimburse the shipping once they receive and verify that I didn't break the first one.

Anyone ever heard of somthing like this before.

Might be worth checking that the moisture indicators havent changed colour, otherwise they wont refund you. At least then you can be sure that is not the cause before you send it off or if they were to claim that once you have sent it. (Not sure where they are but I'm sure a forum search will reveal where they are)

Upvote 0
Might be worth checking that the moisture indicators havent changed colour, otherwise they wont refund you. At least then you can be sure that is not the cause before you send it off or if they were to claim that once you have sent it. (Not sure where they are but I'm sure a forum search will reveal where they are)

I'll have to check for moisture indicators when I get home. I can't imagine they are tripped. Like I said, only 33 days old and I babied it. If they are tripped there are some serious sealing issues with this phone.

Just a question, what version OS was it running? I updated my old Desire (that I gave away to family member) to 2.29.405.5 and at times it randomly shut off and doesn't come back on but a battery pull worked.

It's still on one of the 2.1 releases. Alltel hasen't released a froyo update and I didn't root the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones