• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My EVO experience in Tokyo...so far

rjjr2531

Android Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2009
dallas,tx
Suprisingly you really have to search for free wifi connections. A must have app is FRING! When you do find wifi, you can clearly make fring regular or video calls to your friends back in the US without any problems...including texts( I was very suprised)...some of the other obvious things are using the camera a lot, mp3 player during train/taxi rides...also had fun recording a video while walking the streets of Roppongi...currently streaming texas rangers baseball game live through mlb app on my place's wifi...if you come here or anywhere you definitely need to expect to use this phone more than you think. i was also able to download some japanese language apps and currency conversions apps that have really helped. dont need internet for those...only thing that sucks is that i could not find an offline translator. that would have been extremely helpful

What i've done is keep it on airplane mode the entire time bc you can still use wifi connection for fring and internet. this has given m so much additional battery. the only thing i was unable to open during airplane mode with wifi on is YOUTUBE...for some reason. havent tried mobile site yet though...i used my mobile facebook app at a place with wifi and immediately found the local person...

also walked into a cellphone store here and they were amazed by the phone. they are all about iphone right now...suprisingly considering how tech oriented they are...but the best android phone i could find was a sony ericson...not impressed.

well this is quick, very little detail, but my quick thoughts and experiences...any questions feel free to ask

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones