• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My In Store Hands On Take On G2X

XXSuntoucherxX

Feb 4, 2010
Brookline, MA
So thankfully I have a really good inside sales rep at a Tmobile store here in Manhattan. He called me as soon as he got the device this morning and I left work early to check it out. FYI, I don't know how Tmobile decides how many phones each store gets, but his store is only getting 15 for tomorrow, so if you're eying one, get there early.

Now, all that BS aside:

Pros:
Big bright screen
Very fast operations/app switching (I mean really fast)
Super light weight
Vanilla FroYo
HDMI functionality

Cons:
Call quality (very airy sounding if that makes sense)
4G Data Speed* Has a profound effect on the speed of the browser
512mb RAM (Phone is not future proof against resource hungry apps down the road)
Vanilla FroYo

Missing:
Office Suite app (Or perhaps I missed it, anyway, I wonder how close Google is to adding Docs to Android)
NO MICRO SD CARD INCLUDED!!
No crappy headphones included (This is actually a PRO)
LED

• Let me clarify a few things, most notably the data. I have this belief that the 4G in Manhattan is real 4G. Either the area of the city I was in at the time was experiencing serious issues, or this phone just doesn't pick it up well. The 4G indicator was on, but at best, it was pulling down bad 3G, possibly EDGE speeds. (14th & 6th). One of of the video reviews I saw someone having issues with the internet as well, now I'm thinking that it wasn't a fluke.

• Next, Vanilla FroYo. Since the last phone I had with Vanilla Android was my G1, I kind of forgot just how simple the OS is. After having TouchWiz and Sense UI devices, I think I got a bit brainwashed. While I love the simplicity, I hate the lack of options. This will be obvious when you hook up your email. I really hate proprietary interfaces, especially TWiz, but it really is a reality check to not have certain flourishes available to you. I plan on exercising the hell out of LauncherPro especially with the widget skins feature that was added today.

• The whole 512RAM thing is just unnerving. For now I don't see this as an issue, especially because it's Vanilla 2.2, and more so being a dual core phone. This is pure Linux at the core and will efficiently use 512mb of RAM better then any device could use more. What I'm concerned about going forward is what happens when someone decides to put a Call Of Duty Caliber game up on Android? Or if the SPB Shell 3D home takes off. I'm not worried now, but when I Titanium Restore (Incidentally, I will not attempt this until someone else confirms a sucessful root of the phone first.) all 237 apps tomorrow evening on this thing, I might be singing a different tune.

• No included Micro SD card? Really, I mean, really? Not even a 2gb? Um, ok whatever. I'll be fine with the 8gb it comes with and my maxed out 8gb that I'm moving over, but, I plan on using the hell out of this phone and I really don't feel like buying a 16 to 32gb SD card if I don't have to.

My very first impression upon being handed the phone was, "Crap this is a Galaxy S". In truth, It's a bit bigger and lighter, but feels exactly the same way. No hard buttons on the face, and a big clear screen. My second thought was this is the phone I wish the Vibrant was. This is the what the Nexus needs to be. After I got to playing around with it I quickly realized that this phone was built for power users, hard core gamers, people who need a phone without the bullshit carriers and manufacturers weigh it down with. The rooting community will turn this phone out. It feels great, it's super responsive, and just seems reliable. Obviously until I've played with it at home some more I won't be able to conclude if it's a phone worth keeping.

The MT4G that I have now is definitely a phone worth keeping. Like I've said a million times before on these forums the mark of a great phone is one that keeps surprising you and one that you can stick with in spite of what's out there because it just works. Well, that's why I'm holding onto the MT4G. If the G2X is half the phone the MT4G is, and twice the phone the G1 was, this phone will easily be the best phone T-mobile has ever had.

That said, I hope you've saved up, because despite a few petty nuances that anyone can -and rightfully should- look past, it's definitely a phone you need to have, and I'm great full my dude is keeping one for me till I get there tomorrow evening.

Thanks for this, i wanted to go check one out but probably won't have the time. I'm way too busy with work. After reading this i'm thinking about skipping the G2X and just holding onto my NS. It sounds like a great phone, but it's not that big of a difference to make the jump.

Who knows though, I can be pretty indecisive. So i might end up picking one up when i get my taxes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the write up. I have some interest in the G2X but I find it dissapointing with only 512mb of ram. Coming from a Nexus One with 2.3 It looks like it's a CPU/Camera upgrade at best in the hardware department. I'm planning on checking the phone out today at T-Mobile to see if I want this or will wait out for the Evo 3D or Sensation 4G this summer.

Upvote 0
Crap, did I just turn off everyone to this phone? Now I'm doubting myself...

nope. listening to the engadget review now. they had pretty positive things to say. there's always going to be a few negatives no matter what phone you get.

imo, there's really only 3 phones to choose from thus far...
LG G2x, HTC Sensation, and Galaxy S2.

and if i were to go with a Galaxy S2, i'd def get one either on T-Mo or get the international version for AT&T. why? because just like before, those will likely have the most dev support in the new SGS2 line. lot of ifs with that. and i'm done with HTC. my phone has been okay, but all HTC devices suffer from a few of the same negatives such as poor camera/recording and battery life in comparison to their competition.

that leaves the G2x. only negative i have with it is no LED notification but i can get over it.
going to check it out on thurs in store and buy on fri most likely.

thought i was gonna buy a Moto device but i just can't bring myself to do it. that locked bootloader man...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I respect your thoughts and obviously those are yours but I just wanna say my two cents. I ordered the G2x on Friday, it arrived yesterday but I was at college so I got it today. My old phone was the Mytouch 4G, I think the G2x is 10 times the phone that the MT4G is. The quickness is ridiculous, in all aspects. I believe this is a tremendous upgrade from the MT4G. Honestly, after using this for only about two hours, I don't think I could go back to the MT4G, I think the difference is that huge.

Upvote 0
Mine was dead also. Took almost 10 minutes for it to charge enough to come on. I was getting worried there towards the end, lol.

Ya know, outside of a few moments when I disconnected it to swap out the SIM and memory cards, I've been charging it since 8pm this evening and it's only at 65% I'm going to plug it in and let it ride through the night. If I wake up and it's not 100%, it's going back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones