My Nexus 4: Ebony edition!General

1. JCampbell

JCampbell Well-Known Member

After my N4's back glass cracked, I decided to replace it with ebony. After a couple of weeks and LOTS of work with a dremel, a guitar headplate, and some superglue, my baby is ready to be used again. The back adds about 3/32 of an inch to the thickness, but without back glass and with a screen protector on the front, I don't really need a case as much anymore! Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    http://minus.com/lyYVG2d86lVg2

[​IMG]
    http://minus.com/lpbHisLVybhPe

I still plan on lacquering/polishing it a little more, but I must say that the wood adds a GREAT feel to the back.
    The lighting doesn't quite do it justice.

Advertisement
    :
    jackgibbs likes this.
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Wow... What happened to using veneer? Surely that would have fit in better.
  3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Bummer! Can't see the pictures - sounds awesome, though.

So how do people react to "I have a wooden phone"?
  4. JCampbell

I couldn't find a veneer in the right dimensions, unfortunately. I kind of like the extra bulk though, it's like having a case while still being able to enjoy a naked phone!
    I dunno why, but the forum doesn't like to show my pictures from Minus. I'll add the links to the post.
  5. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

Probably this:

"Cool, can I check it out. Jesus Christ, what the hell have you done to it, my eyes, my eyes, they're burning."
  6. SiempreTuna

Nobody mentions wood worm ..?
  7. JCampbell

Actually, most people are pretty impressed. It also looks MUCH better when it's not in the awful light of my dorm room.
  8. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

Once it's polished up and lacquered it will look really nice.
  9. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I applaud your efforts but can't help but think you should have spent the
  10. JCampbell

11. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Have you checked the rear camera field-of-view? From here it appears that it might be reduced somewhat.
  12. JCampbell

I made sure to check it before I attaches the wood; it's unaffected. I was pretty surprised that it would work with such a small hole in the wood, but it did!
  13. ou7shined

ou7shined Well-Known Member

I admire your tenacity with this mod but I might be inclined to chalk this version up as a prototype and go back to the veneer idea. You can google to find suppliers of it. You may find that a lot of stock veneers may not be as black as you are initially looking for but always remember that you can stain it darker if you wish - lacquering of course will also darken it.
    As you have no doubt discovered ebony is a pig to work with (I myself have an allergic reaction when working with it - the oils in it contain natural insect-repellents that make me itch like a bitch) and chips easily. Veneer is way more manageable and can be layered to provide strength and stability. (arrange the layers with the grain at 90deg to the previous layer)
  14. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Fixed your image links for you.

how does it effect the sound form the speaker?
  15. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

Get a wood burning kit and make a crazy design on the back
  16. JCampbell

I plan on making a thinner one after Recognition (a BIG training event that every USAFA freshman has to do), but this will have to do for now.

Thank you! And the sound quality seems unaffected, but when I cover the speaker with my finger it has great richness (though it's much quieter).
  17. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

As your attorney (and a professional custom woodworker), I would advise that the OP arrange the grain layers toward opposite corners, in order to better absorb the shock loading upon dropping. This will be something like 145
  18. SiempreTuna

Just got to see the images - thanks, Lunatic59 - and it looks way cool!
  19. ou7shined

20. ou7shined

Good luck with both mate. :)
  21. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Super badass dude! Keep us updated please!
  22. JCampbell

Since the ebony took so long to ship last time, I just ordered a black veneer (the same guitar company had it all along!). Now, in double layering it, should I have two solid pieces of veneer or one solid one over a sort of patchwork piece? As it is, I'm not sure if the order I placed will be enough for two solid pieces, so I may need to call and have them add an extra veneer to it.
  23. ou7shined

Two solid pieces would be preferable (3 would be even better) as the joins may become visible through the back. Depending on their moisture content veneers can ripple badly when glued so be prepared to press the pieces with a flat heavy object while it dries.
  24. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

Watch out for termites! Jk jk. It really looks awesome. Well done.
  25. Rocco2012

Rocco2012 Well-Known Member

Why not just use a laminate or formica with a veneer skin on it? You can still stain if if you want. It is only a few mm thick but a lot more durable than a few pieces of veneer glued together.