• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone hates me plz help

calvin_w

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Okay so I've had my phone (HTC One M8) for almost two years now. Everything has been completely fine until a week ago when it started playing up. Usually I stay far away from the phones settings and caches or whatever theyre called, but I did clear out a bunch of stuff hoping it would free up more space. Ever since I did this, it's been playing up. First it didn't connect to wifi at all, then it kicks me out of settings and other apps, then it starts doing boot loops ALL the time. I decided to just to a dull factory rest and start it anew but of course that wouldn't work for me either. After doing the reset, it goes through a bunch of stuff and then comes up with the error 'com.android.phone'. I have no idea what this means, but I literally cannot do anything with it. I can't get onto a homepage or anything. I'm just stuck with a screen that says HTC and popups telling me how much my phone sucks. Please please please if anyone could help I would really appreciate it! :) All I want is my phone back. :(

1. Go into settings
  2. Apps
  3. All apps
  4. Find the contact manager
  5. clear the cache...
  6. IF THAT DOES NOT WORK...
  7. Relax..
  8. Turn off your smartphone
  9. Press and hold the "Volume Down" button
  10. While pressing the volume key, press and release the "Power" button to turn the smartphone on
  11. Keep holding "Volume Down" until you see the three Android images at the lower part of the screen
  12. From the "HBOOT" menu, press "Volume down" to highlight "Recovery"
  13. Press "Power" to confirm the selection
  14. A red triangle should a pop-up on the screen
  15. Press and hold the "Volume Up" and "Power" buttons at the same time
  16. After reaching the "Recovery" menu, release the buttons
  17. Press "Volume Down" to navigate to, and highlight "Wipe cache partition"
  18. Press the "Power" key to select the option
  19. Wait for the device to display "Cache wipe complete"
  20. With "Reboot system now" highlighted, press the "Power" key

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
  1. Go into settings
  2. Apps
  3. All apps
  4. Find the contact manager
  5. clear the cache...
  6. IF THAT DOES NOT WORK...
  7. Relax..
  8. Turn off your smartphone
  9. Press and hold the "Volume Down" button
  10. While pressing the volume key, press and release the "Power" button to turn the smartphone on
  11. Keep holding "Volume Down" until you see the three Android images at the lower part of the screen
  12. From the "HBOOT" menu, press "Volume down" to highlight "Recovery"
  13. Press "Power" to confirm the selection
  14. A red triangle should a pop-up on the screen
  15. Press and hold the "Volume Up" and "Power" buttons at the same time
  16. After reaching the "Recovery" menu, release the buttons
  17. Press "Volume Down" to navigate to, and highlight "Wipe cache partition"
  18. Press the "Power" key to select the option
  19. Wait for the device to display "Cache wipe complete"
  20. With "Reboot system now" highlighted, press the "Power" key

Hi, thanks for responding! I managed to get up to step 15, but once again, it comes up with a blank screen with a pop up 'com.android.phone' again.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for responding! I managed to get up to step 15, but once again, it comes up with a blank screen with a pop up 'com.android.phone' again.

You say that you attempted a factory reset once, so I'm assuming that you're ok with losing all your data?

If so, follow steps 1-12 and instead of highlighting "Recovery", highlight "Factory Reset" and press the power button.

You might want to try skipping step 15 and wait to see if the recovery comes up by itself.

My phone is rooted so I guess for that reason, my bootloader behaves a little differently. In my case, once I get to the H-BOOT menu and select "Recovery", it goes straight to Recovery without having to push any buttons.

This is why I will never own a smart phone that can't be rooted. Once rooted and as long as you have a custom recovery installed, it's next to impossible to permanently screw it up.

If all you ever do is use the recovery to make back-up images of your phone and remove the bloatware that comes on it, rooting is well worth it. With this phone, some very talented developers made it quite easy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You say that you attempted a factory reset once, so I'm assuming that you're ok with losing all your data?

If so, follow steps 1-12 and instead of highlighting "Recovery", highlight "Factory Reset" and press the power button.

You might want to try skipping step 15 and wait to see if the recovery comes up by itself.

My phone is rooted so I guess for that reason, my bootloader behaves a little differently. In my case, once I get to the H-BOOT menu and select "Recovery", it goes straight to Recovery without having to push any buttons.

This is why I will never own a smart phone that can't be rooted. Once rooted and as long as you have a custom recovery installed, it's next to impossible to permanently screw it up.

If all you ever do is use the recovery to make back-up images of your phone and remove the bloatware that comes on it, rooting is well worth it. With this phone, some very talented developers made it quite easy.

Well I would do that but I cant actually access my phone at all. Even if I could, it doesnt let me access settings. :(

Upvote 0
Recovery should be independent of the system (com.android.phone). HBOOT and recovery are accessed from a powered off state, so you don't need to boot your phone. IF the phone is stuck in a boot loop, then press and hold the power button until the screen goes black. Just to make sure it's off and not rebooting, put the phone down and get a cup of coffee. ;) After a minute or so press and hold both the volume down key and the power button. If you see the splash screen, let go of the power button but keep holding the volume down button until it boots into HBOOT. Then you can go through the steps listed above.

Here's a demonstration (the part you're interested in starts at about 2:30)

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones