My Polaroid 7" Tablet Review PMID700

1. fam

fam Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    xmr405o, Earlewart and El Presidente like this.
  2. jandrosh

jandrosh New Member

Hello I'm new here! First post. I have the same tablet. I could add that it has 2.3.1. Also, this isn't a true Google device so Google Talk and Market apps will not work. ( I have tried to install the correct apk's for them but the phone will not install them.) However, I have downloaded the gmail app from the Amazon app store. Setup Gmail with a new account and let it load up. Then to see function of Gmail, compose and send an email to another one of your email addresses, then and open that email and reply back to your tablet. Then, (in Gmail inbox) hit menu key then refresh. you will see the sync circle appear at top of screen. This should've happened already when sent/recieved email. This seems to associate the tablet with Google and sync. (You will not find accounts & sync in your settings screen.) You then go to the Market website on your computer, login using the same gmail account https://market.android.com and send apps to the tablet. It will get pushed to the tablet and start in a few seconds. The app will install it automatically when finished. Some apps are not compatable and the market will not let you download them. They all seemed to be in the tablet section. Those all seem to need 3.0+. I havedownloaded many free apps and books this way. ( like 3 angry birds, youtube, maps, netflix, adobe flash 11 and lots of games for a six year old ) Note, If you open the market app on the tablet while downloading from market it will fail. If you get an error or fc in a google app, refresh again in Gmail app Also, ebuddy is a free app which can be your Gtalk client. This seems to be a cramfs (read-only) file system so no easy one click root. It could be possible with the right computer based reflash program.
  3. fam

fam Well-Known Member

Yes I got the accounts to sync as well after installing gmail. Most items work great (world of goo, where's my water, race of champions) but there are a few games that just exit back to desktop or force close (sprinkle). Its sometimes fun to plug a usb mouse and keyboard (even a thumbdrive) with that adapter. Definitely worth the money especially if you want to occupy a kid with a new game without worrying if they drop it because its so cheap. If you figure out a root method let me know, though really my only concern is getting a galaxy nexus and shooting out wireless tether whenever that becomes available to the tablet.
    jandrosh likes this.
  4. jandrosh

jandrosh New Member

the plug and play USB mouse tip is awesome! (with USB adapter) Works flawlessly!
  5. Alexluk

Alexluk New Member

What is the name off th app you are using for gmail ?
  6. fam

fam Well-Known Member

I use the actual gmail app. I just got the apk for it either online or you can backup the apk you have on your phone on the android market. Notifications works the same.

PS my tablet is for sale for anyone that wants it (includes new add on 8gb card + a specialized car charger I bought from walmart). Make an offer.
  7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

If you're looking to sell, we have a classifieds section where you might get a better response: Classifieds - Android Forums
  8. Alexluk

Alexluk New Member

when i try this steps and log into market and try to d/l an app i get error
    No Android phone are associated with this account.. help
  9. El Presidente

Have you added a google account to the tablet via the accounts & sync menu?
  10. fam

fam Well-Known Member

The menu is slightly altered, it doesnt have that option but you can manually install the gmail app and it pops up with the account and sync window...mind you I did have trouble getting my account off of it (wouldnt let me even after I added a 2nd option) so I had to do the new firmware upgrade available on their site so wipe it clean. Market crashes on it as I believe the tablet is missing some pieces of android that keeps the market happy...so amazon app store will be your friend.
    El Presidente likes this.
  11. Chrome Cat

Chrome Cat Active Member

Sorry guys, but I can't figure out what "APK" means. Can you help me out please?

The Polaroid is one of the budget tabs I'm considering. I actually prefer resistive touchscreen, I don't know why so many people hate it. I'd prefer to use my fingernails or stylus than my fingertips.

I'd also like to know if Android in these tablets is upgrade-able? For example: can a gingerbread be upgraded to a honeycomb? I guess not, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
  12. El Presidente

APK's are Android apps, it stands for Android Package. They're the equivalent of exe files on your PC.

You'll find with a lot of the cheaper tablets, they may not be upgradeable (both officially and unofficially), but I'm not saying that will be the case with the Polaroid though, just that it might be wise to not get your hopes up.
  13. cavalierjoe

cavalierjoe New Member

im looking for a case for this tablet. can anyone help? send me a link to one that will work. i would like to find one with a keyboard also if available thanks joe
  14. fam

fam Well-Known Member

Sorry man youll find no cases made for this tablet...mainly because of such a low production run and low sales.
  15. shadow8

shadow8 New Member

We just got polaroids 7" tablet. We are trying to set up an email account and am having difficulty. Do we plug in our computer email info or do we set up a completely new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  16. Torchracing

Torchracing New Member

i got this and its seems like at least twice a day the screen will freeze up and the image will become a field of whatever colors were on the screen when it froze. and at least two times a day (seperate from the other times) it will simply freeze but the screen will look normal (the same as when it froze). is this because of low product performance or did i get a faulty one?
  17. fam

fam Well-Known Member

never froze on me...keep in mind there is a software update for this available on their website (not polaroid.com)...maybe that might help, or something you might have installed is causing an issue?

I sold my tablet to a friend for $100 but was just as reliable as my droidx when I had it.
  18. NattieB

NattieB New Member

Does anyone know whether I can use an SDHC for this? I didn't even know there was a difference between sd and sdhc... which can I use?
  19. fam

fam Well-Known Member

I used an SDHC with no issues. They come in different "classes" like class 2,4,6,10.

The higher the # the faster they are but sometimes super high ones can cause issues in some devices...I played it safe and got a class 6 and it worked fine.
  20. Torchracing

Torchracing New Member

If not polaroid then where?
  21. fam

fam Well-Known Member

there's an update app on your tablet, but the polaroid is offloaded onto Southern Telecom where you can get updates. Site is kind of messy and has errors but I got a new update a few weeks ago when I still had the tablet.

Had to use the cord and a pc to flash it.
    Torchracing likes this.
  22. Torchracing

Torchracing New Member

Thanks fam you've been alot of help so far. Another thing though. I go to you tube certain times and it says i need to update my flash player. I go to adobe and i cant find it for android operating system so what system should i choose?
  23. fam

fam Well-Known Member

You have to scour the net and find the flash player apk file so you can side load it onto your device...while you are installing you might as well find a newer version of youtube, gmail, and whatever apps you like from the android market that you might not be able to get from the amazon app store (hopefully youve put that on your tablet).
  24. Chicago Dude

Chicago Dude Member

What Gmail app did u use from the amazon app store. There are several but none are legitimate "Google" Gmails.
  25. socgranny

socgranny New Member

I got a Android Tablet Case with Keyboard on Amazon for $13.49. Bought it a couple of weeks ago. You will need the "USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter" for $1.30.