• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My s3 has literally just died - not just the battery HELP!

Hi everyone first post, im from the uk. my s3 is insured but i really need it on like now for work reasons, yet an hour ago i was tapping away sorting some emails and the phoen froze.....it wouldnt react to anything, and the battery was fine. so i did a battery pull. i then tried to turn on and it sems to strt as normal, but the lights (blue in corner & button light at bottom) which normally glow were twitchy for want of a better word, not glowing permanent like normal, it showed the samsung logo and then went black, since nothing. i plugged into laptop using usb lead and the power like is just constant red.

my first taught was to go online and reboot from samsung wesbite or something, but im either so tired i cant see it or i cant find where to actually reboot - reinstall the system on phone etc

The phone is completely up to date as it does automatically or reminds me when needs doing and i do instantly. so am lost, and in pain thinking ill be phoneless in the morning and possibly for christmas if contract provider cant get replacement out should i not succeed in fixing software isue, as im guessing thats way it is. no water damage or anything it was just in my hand?!

HELP. |Dont want to lose recent pictures i hadnt backed up yet!

I had the same damn thing happened to me. Thought it was the battery. Wouldnt work. Took it to the verizon store; I gave up and bought another s3 after trying everything. Then a week later I took it to a cell phone doctor. They pressed the on button and it miraculously turned on, and its been working fine ever since.

So hopefully this is a temporary episode and it will fix itself like mine.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the community mate. Man thats a PITA. can it get into recovery mode? (With the phone off, hold in power, home and volume UP until you get to a special menu). From there you can factory reset which is worth a try but youll lose anything that isnt saved to the memory card.
If that doesnt work or you really dont wana wipe everything, it gets a bit more complex and youll have to reflash (use a pc to put the operating system onto the phone)

Upvote 0
Thank you funkylogik for the welcome and advice. I didnt want to reset as hadnt backed up data pics etc as I do every month. But luckily I left on usb cable to laptop while I went tiolet and it came on. It wasnt working freezing every two seconds took me 10minutes open settings! But I thought id check updates or reset from there and hey presto update auto was unticked....even though I had ticked for auto update...anyway updated and now been working all day no issue so far!

Fingers crossed it stays that way over christmas dont want to waiting on insurance delivery over Christmas!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones