• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Samsung Galaxy S7 decrypted the sd card by itself

EBbenezer

Lurker
Jun 19, 2020
My phone was out of power and was shutting down. It shut down and when I turned the phone back on again I noticed that something was wrong. Some files were not readable. I noticed that it was the SD cards storage that didn't work, so I checked the "Encrypt SD card" option in settings and found that the SD card is "not encrypted", which it is, it is encrypted but my phone won't recognize it.

I haven't done a factory reset or rooted it, haven't done anything that changes my phone, but the files for the time being are unreadable. I haven't updated my phone in a good while. I have managed to backup SD card, as I can see the files on my computer and on the phone itself, but the files can't be read. I have tried to restart the phone without the SD card then putting it back in again but have been unable to regain access. Any ideas on how to fix this? Or is it impossible to fix?

It sounds like your SD card went bad. If so, that would explain why the phone thinks the card isn't encrypted any more. It can't really tell because it's bad. I would get a new SD card and put it in the phone and see if it works normally with the new one. You are probably going to be out of luck recovering the data from the old one though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones