• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my thoughts on note 3

Robert7107

Android Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2011
cameron park ca
i have owned the note 3 since Febuary and love it. been seeing a lot of people saying that the 4.4 update ruined there phone...

i wonder if is different dates these phones (smartphones in general) are made?
example my galaxy S3 had minor issiues from the 4.3.updated but yet my girlfriends phone had major probelms..

my battery life is amazing an hasn't changed since getting 4.4.2 . i use my phone quite a lot and still manage to get a full days use...

i have owned the note 3 since Febuary and love it. been seeing a lot of people saying that the 4.4 update ruined there phone...

example my galaxy S3 had minor issiues from the 4.3.updated but yet my girlfriends phone had major probelms..

my battery life is amazing an hasn't changed since getting 4.4.2 . i use my phone quite a lot and still manage to get a full days use...

My friends mom just bought a note 3 from Verizon and she immediately updated it to kitkat. I spent some time with it and it seems the battery life is amazing and and it seems rlly fluid. I also factory reseted it right after the update for her even tho it was brand new so Maybe a fdr is required for major updates in os to run smoothly again but then again if you got the phone at launch the hardware and battery degrade anywayz

Upvote 0
Every time a phone receives an update, there's ALWAYS a bunch of posts complaining how the update ruined their phone. Virtually 100% of the time! With in place updates (flashes), there's always a risk that something will get messed up. It's why in the rooting world it's always recommended that a full wipe of the device be done before flashing. This is not device specific. A good rule of thumb when updating to a newer version is to back up what you can and do a factory reset before you start using the device. It's a pain in the butt restoring all your data, but it's the best way to avoid issues.

Add to that, a update could expose a flaw in hardware that the previous system didn't.

Reactions: MIROW and Rxpert83
Upvote 0

I've never had any problem with my latest update. In fact, I didn't even noticed or tell any difference at all. I just update whenever there's an update available. On my Samsung galaxy S4 when I first purchased it, my data never said or read LTE. It only read 4G. I called sprint customer care, and they stated that it is LTE. I was still unsatisfied. I was very insecure about it. After a few days, during work, I received an update notification. I decided to update it (I feel like every update is good for you imo). After the update, my phone restarted, and my data finally read 4G LTE! But the function/ features on the phone was no difference for me. However, i did see a slight improvement on my data speed. It may be my mind though, just sharing you my update experience lol, enjoy your phone!:thumbup:

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
I've had it since February as well, and the Update went fine for me because I *always* do a Factory Reset after Version Upgrades on Android. My experience from using this platform since 2010 is such that it is pretty terrible at accepting updates - nothing like Windows Phone and iOS where you simply install the update and go on with your life. I've *always* had issues so I avoid them entirely by simply resetting the device.

Part of the reason why I'm always anxious to get the OTA is so that I can just get that over with.

That being said, I'm about ready to EDGE the phone back and get an M8. I'm starting to pay more attention to details and I'm at the point in my life where this will probably be my last "quick" upgrade. HTC has a 2 year update policy on their devices, and the Screen Insurance here so that's a good sell to me.

1. My Magazine: Why does this exist? It's useless because Flipboard is locked onto the device (Can't Disable or Uninstall) and does almost everything My Magazine does, except the parts that would waste battery (Here and Now). No Facebook Integration makes this worthless to most people given Flipboard is ON THE DEVICE. Additionally, the Swipe from Bottom gesture is probably the worst possible solution to use on a device with capacitive buttons, and the delay betweent eh Swipe and the App coming up is just sloppy (it's there, unless you were recently using the app and it's already running in the background).

2. Camera. I'd personally like a faster shutter and higher possible ISO. I also HATE that you have to go into settings to toggle on/off Burst Shots.

3. Stock Apps. Some don't look as good as they should on a Flagship that costs this much. SMS App could use a UI overhaul. Calendar App is much too busy. Some apps have Samsung Services baked into them, which rely on Samsung Account and Update Themselves if you just swipe over to see what's there. The Video Player app is a great example of this.

4. External Speak. Not good.

5. Camera Low Light Performance can be better. Smart Stabilization works well, except if they're *any* movement in the scene. Camera is prone to shake. A phone this large probably should have a Hardware Shutter Key to facilitate a better grip and limit camera shack during photography. Video recording is great, though 4K is useless to most people since most people won't have a PC that can work with it decently (you need a beastly rig to do a lot with 4K video). If you do have a PC that can handle it, though, downsizing it down to 1080p results in superior footage than the native 1080p from the phone (and many dedicated cameras).

6. Some of the Preloads are ********. PEN.UP. S Translator requires a Samsung Account Log-In, etc.

I think the device is great, but after using it for a few months I'm not sure I could recommend it. I'm definitely going to get another phone within a month. Maybe the M8, unless Apple is going to release the iPhone 6 early with a 4.7" screen (cannot wait for September and the Note 4 is out of the question since the S5 shares many of my complaints and it will likely run very similar software).

If I get the M8, I'll buy a cheap used Sprint iPhone 4S to use as a Camera when I need higher resolution shots :) Those iPhones are tiny! Shouldn't be a problem!!!

Upvote 0
I love my note 3, but the biggest issue i have is that it doesn't sync S-Note with my Note 10.1(2013) and the version on the Note 3 seems to be a really really dumbed down version of the app. The tablet version has a LOT more functionality. If i had known that i wouldn't have got it for that one reason.

Those are both things that you should have known about within a few hours or setting the phone up. Why do you still have it? Why didn't you just bring it back?

I use the S Pen a lot, but what I've noticed is that I use it more as a HID and not to use any of Samsung's apps. In that vein, this was probably not the smartest purchase decision for me (other than the big screen, of course), and I could have likely gotten a better user experience from a different device with a decent capacitive stylus with a fine tip.

I may even go back to the iPhone 5S if nothing else really grabs me. At least the user experience there is predictably high rate and support is top notch. HTC is really impressing me with their device support, though... But, that camera :-( Like I said, though, a cheap used 8-16GB iPhone 4S can fix that issue... Considering I could keep it tethered practically all the time.

Upvote 0
Those are both things that you should have known about within a few hours or setting the phone up. Why do you still have it? Why didn't you just bring it back?

I can deal with the s-note problem, i just use my note 10.1 :) Once M$ get's OneNote to sync back and forth on android that'll be all i ever use :)

The larger screen was the biggest selling point. I was tossing between the note 3 and S5 - for the price difference when i got them it was a no brainer.

Before ya point me to evernote - it's a transition thing, i've used one note for way to long :)

Upvote 0
OneNote syncs on Android. What it needs is a proper tablet app like the iPad cause a blown up smartphone app doesn't work well. They also need to utilize the S Pen SDK for Samsung devices.

I don't (and never have) consider Evernote to be a Note Taking app except for people who don't know what note taking is... It's more comparable to Google Keep than OneNote, so it's worthless to me.

Never used D Note. I use my S Pen as a more accurate input mechanism than anything, which is why I'm going to migrate to a device that is not loaded up with the extras. I don't need them so why should I deal with long update turn around, bugs and issues, etc. because of them :p

Also, don't like having to maintain a Samsung account to utilize halt the stuff on these phones.

Upvote 0
OneNote Syncs one way the last time i used it. Has that changed, because i've got notebooks out the wazoo i'd love to have on either my phone or tablet :)

OneNote Notebooks reside of SkyDrive.

I don't know how else to put it other than to state that little fact.

They are not local files that need to be pushed to another service. They reside there and are only cached locally.

When you open it, it will pull changes and display them on your device. When you finish with it, it will automatically Sync them back to SkyDrive.

That is how it works on, literally, ever platform it supports (Windows, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.) and this has been the case since it was introduced.

There *is* a toggle in settings to limit Synching to WiFi which you should be aware of, though...

Upvote 0
OneNote Notebooks reside of SkyDrive.

I don't know how else to put it other than to state that little fact.

They are not local files that need to be pushed to another service. They reside there and are only cached locally.

When you open it, it will pull changes and display them on your device. When you finish with it, it will automatically Sync them back to SkyDrive.

That is how it works on, literally, ever platform it supports (Windows, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.) and this has been the case since it was introduced.

There *is* a toggle in settings to limit Synching to WiFi which you should be aware of, though...

Going to have to find the skydrive in office 2007 :( i know it's there on 2013.

Upvote 0
I love my note 3, but the biggest issue i have is that it doesn't sync S-Note with my Note 10.1(2013) and the version on the Note 3 seems to be a really really dumbed down version of the app. The tablet version has a LOT more functionality. If i had known that i wouldn't have got it for that one reason.

Do you have a Samsung account?

Upvote 0
Going to have to find the skydrive in office 2007 :( i know it's there on 2013.

I dont think there is a Sky Drive in OneNote 2007. I think the password that you use to sync your OneNote 2007 data with your Windows Live account sends the Notebook data to Sky Drive when you sign into Sky Drive on your desktop or Android device.

I noticed I had an empty Notebook when I installed OneNote for Android, and then it let me browse my Sky Drive and I found my Notebook that I had synced from the desktop and all my notes started to sync onto the Android.

Upvote 0
I dont think there is a Sky Drive in OneNote 2007. I think the password that you use to sync your OneNote 2007 data with your Windows Live account sends the Notebook data to Sky Drive when you sign into Sky Drive on your desktop or Android device.

I noticed I had an empty Notebook when I installed OneNote for Android, and then it let me browse my Sky Drive and I found my Notebook that I had synced from the desktop and all my notes started to sync onto the Android.

I'll play with it later.

yes i do have a Samsung account - but the versions of S-Note on the 2 devices are different, and won't sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones