• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Thunderbolt hates Rush

dmunz

Mar 18, 2011
Houston
(the fat white guy, not the band.)

Rush comes on AM 740 here in Houston. I was listening with my TB plugged into a car charger and got this constant oscilating whining noise from the radio. I checked all the other channels I have programmed and none of them had the same feedback/noise.

I guess my phone hates Rush. :D

Just to add some levity here amoung all the hate the phone/love the phone/battery sucks/battery is good threads.

FWIW
DLM

The ocilating/whine you hear is from an unshielded power source from your car's altenator which has an operating frequency of 740(ish)kHz. This is a biger problem on older cars with less regulation on their power source and less shielding on the wiring. It is a very common issue to deal with in the car audio world where larger altenators, multiple batteries, and amplifiers all pump up this interfearance. This is especially evident if using cheap amplifiers with unshielded Mosfets.

Basicly...not the t-bolt. Your t-bolt just picks up on the fact that your car hates Rush.

(On a side note, I love Rush, but would push you towards Niel Boortz)

Upvote 0
Well, why does my Thunderbolt hate Rush when my Eris clearly was a fan?

Running the iHeartRadio app playing said channel, via a wired FM transmitter (ie. one that physically connects to the stereo' antenna wire.) It was dead silent when using my Eris. Now with the TB I hear the whine noise.

+1 for Rush, though I prefer Mark Levin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones