1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

N7 USB Not WOrking. Ideas?

1. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

OK. Time for today's dumb question...

I got my OTG dongle today. I'm rooted. Stick a known good flash drive on and I get...

...nothing.

Both File Manager HD and ES File Explorer don't show it. The tab doesn't, like, 'do' anything when I plug it in (I mean as in there's no sign it recognizes anything is there).

Am I missing something? Should USB debug be on/off? Sacrifice a goat? What?

Also, when I say 'known good' I mean I plugged it into my Mac and a Windows 7 laptop and there are a couple of files on it.

Advertisement
  2. viper689

viper689 Well-Known Member

Gotta download an app called StickMount (free on the Play Store) and then stick in the dongle. Should be good to go then
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Yup, you need stickmount for USB OTG
  4. Pappy35

Thanks guys. Should've searched. As soon as I saw the name I remembered reading that not too long ago.

Just installed it. Worked like a charm.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Pappy35

OK. So now my N7 (with 4.2 freshly installed) won't show any files on the OTG dongle when I plug it in. I verified the file are there on my Mac and a PC laptop. Any ideas?

I wiped my N7 for the purpose of restoring from TiBU but since the card shows empty when attached that obviously isn't working.

I'm Rooted, running 4.2, Stickmount in installed and granted root access as is TiBU. I'm stuck. Really not happy that this backup/restore thing is being so problematic.

Also, though I have Google Drive setup as a backup location, TiBU doesn't seem to be putting anything out there..
  6. whalebus

whalebus Well-Known Member

Stickmount does not currently work in 4.2. You can either wait for an updated version of Stickmount, or revert back to an earlier version of Android. It has something to do with the new multi-user support.

There are free apps that transfer files via wifi in the Play store.
  7. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Stickmount should be updated for 4.2 now.
  8. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

Stickmount now works, but it is a little more flakey. If you want to access files on the external mem, open the app first, i.e., Root Explorer, Astro, Music Player, then attach the OTG usb cable. Seems to work much better for me that way. Otherwise, I seem to have to unmount/mount several times to get it mounted. Unmounting doesn't always work for me and sometimes I just have to unplug when finished.