• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Naming your phone + natural voice protocol

Blackbrawler

Dec 20, 2009
I was wondering if there is an app that allows you to name your phone.

For example lets say i named my Droid.... Optimus Prime

And then i could use voice protocol after saying my phone's name For example
Optimus Prime please text autobots (contact group), "Autobots Transform and roll out!"

After saying its name the phone would automatically know that Autobots is a contact group and that the message i want texted is "Autobots Assemble!"

Is there an app like this already? If there isn't it would be a great idea for one

Two things...

1. What's the use of speaking the name when you can just hit voice search and say the command anyway? Are you asking for the option to say the name of the phone in order to activate voice search? If this is the case, I think it would be a huge battery drain since the phone would have to be constantly listening for its name.

2. In my personal opinion, I feel that you would have more success if you said "Transform and roll out."

Neat idea, though, if it's possible. I would like my phone to respond to a name just for the hell of it. Knight Rider immediately comes to mind.

Upvote 0
Yeah its really more for novelty than it is for practical use and I guess you could simplify it into activating voice control.

Would keeping the microphone on really kill the battery though? I mean the Droid can last over 6 hours with Music playing and 100% backlight (mixed in with some navigation)

Here is the video

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones