• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nandroid Restore, Apps Downloading From Market?

SanityKills

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
I am under the impression that Nandroid backup & restore completely wipes the system data and overwrites with a saved image of the Android OS with whatever was on the phone at the time of backup.

So I created a backup to my SD Card, installed an app (ROM Manager)--couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled it. I then did a restore on my previously saved backup and right after booting up, I see a notification, open it, and catch ROM Manager downloading again to, eventually, install itself.

How does the market, or my phone, know that this app was previously installed? Is it saved to my Google account somewhere? Is the data stored on my SD Card? My Nandroid backup that was created without the app being installed shouldn't have this information still on it should it?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones