• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

National Teacher Appreciation Day

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
So, it appears today is Nat'l Teacher Appreciation Day. Was hoping folks would share a story about a standout teacher in their past.
One of my more memorable teachers was my first. When I was in Catholic school, in the first grade, I had Sister B (Beatrice). She was old, cranky and strict as hell. I was the kid who always got in trouble; I was the defacto trouble-maker in the class. This wasn't old enough for corporal punishment to be allowed, so her method of discipline was to take your desk and dump all of it's contents on you and the floor (it had the large opening in the front to put all your books, papers etc. in). Pretty embarrassing stuff, especially for a 7-year-old. Anyway, she retired a couple years later after 60 years of teaching! :eek:
After 3rd grade, my folks pulled me out of Catholic school; said I wasn't thriving in the "disciplined environment". :rolleyes:

Anyone else have some fun teacher stories to share?

What about National Teacher's Spouse Appreciation Day? We need it too, lol!

Seriously though, I've had some amazing teachers throughout my schooling and could not ever pick just one. My 2nd grade teacher was the only person I would let pull my teeth...my parents couldn't touch them! I had several teachers encourage me, push me, etc. I obtained several nuggets of life wisdom through some of my high school teachers...especially my upper-level math teacher who I had for all 4 years of high school and my biology teacher. My school teachers had as big of a positive influence in my life as my parents did and that's not a knock on my parents at all, that's just how good they all were.

I now see the other side the teacher world because my wife, mother, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, and brother-in-law are all educators. I really appreciate them that much more now because I see all the crap they have to put up with when all they want to do is educate and help children. It really is a labor of love and you absolutely have to have a passion for it to stay with it in today's society.

Upvote 0
We have had to remove a few off-topic posts to their own threads. The OP wishes to keep this on topic and be relevant about remembering and honoring a teacher that has influenced them and share a good learning experience. Please help us keep this on topic :)

Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0
One reason that I feel I had excellent teachers isn't necessarily their teaching skills (which were great as well) but for their life lessons they imparted to us. One of the best nuggets of advice that I can remember was from my high school biology teacher. I vividly remember this one too. Don't date anyone you wouldn't consider marrying. That one came back and bit me in the butt later in life when I dated a girl for several months just to be dating her and then found it hard to break up with her and compromised my beliefs to stay with her. Eventually broke it off, but made it much harder.

Upvote 0
Trying to keep it alive, I had another teacher in 10th grade high school. Unfortunately, I can't recall her name. She was my English teacher and she was great at opening up our minds and respecting any and all opinions we had. At the time I was becoming very political and she worked hard to let my ideas flourish. I left that school towards the end of the year to move to NC, but to this day will remember those teachers who see something a little out there, a bit off the mainstream, and get excited about those students who shared those ideas.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
I really want to contribute here, but I can't pick a single teacher. Was it my third grade teacher that kept me on track when my parents divorced? The sixth grade teacher that introduced me to programming on a Digital Rainbow? Or how about my eighth grade Algebra one teacher that finally got the light bulb to go on for me and unlocked my math skills? Maybe I should go with the History Professor in college that taught me that that subject is as amazing as some novels with the many ways a past interaction between folks can have national ramifications decades later?

I guess I have to say I appreciate the dedication of the profession and their ability to shape our lives in a positive way. I know the OP asks for a single experience, but I have been shaped along the way by many, and could not single one out.

Upvote 0
Really appreciate those, Pup.
The last I'll throw out was one of my chefs at CIA who taught Chocolates and Confections. He was an absolute science geek who always implored us to get to the root of "whys" when making desserts. What was the chemical reaction, why did it do that and consequently, how to fix it if it went wrong. He was a great guy. If anyone is interested in making confections, his book is indispensable.
Amazon.com: Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner (9780764588440): Peter P. Greweling, The Culinary Institute of America: Books

Upvote 0
Since I'm a dinosaur and any teacher I had in grade school is now entombed in a pyramid somewhere, I'll speak of my older sons 1st grade teacher. She's Ivy League educated but teaches in a LI NY public school because she loves the kids. She's a bit of an oddball and can often be found gardening outside the school (she's not part of the custodial staff). She taught my son a love of nature and an obsession for chess. Truly a special person.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Since I'm a dinosaur and any teacher I had in grade school is now entombed in a pyramid somewhere, I'll speak of my older sons 1st grade teacher. She's Ivy League educated but teaches in a LI NY public school because she loves the kids. She's a bit of an oddball and can often be found gardening outside the school (she's not part of the custodial staff). She taught my son a love of nature and an obsession for chess. Truly a special person.

Always great to hear stories of teachers taking "the road less traveled" so to speak.

Upvote 0
I had a teacher that was very polarizing, some students hated him because he was a hard grader and a hardass. But with my second and third class with him, I realized he really cared about his students, and would always reward hard work, even if your test taking ability wasn't the greatest. He just wanted to prepare students for the real world, and not baby them, or be their buddy. I never had a teacher compare to him.

Upvote 0
I had a teacher that was very polarizing, some students hated him because he was a hard grader and a hardass. But with my second and third class with him, I realized he really cared about his students, and would always reward hard work, even if your test taking ability wasn't the greatest. He just wanted to prepare students for the real world, and not baby them, or be their buddy. I never had a teacher compare to him.

Sounds like a winner in my book. I always liked the ones who would recognize your abilities and challenge you to go further.

Upvote 0
I always thought Teachers' Day was 10th September. Anyway I'm a teacher, sometimes appreciated, sometimes not. :)

"Love your teacher."
e15-135.jpg

The only teacher I really appreciated at my school was the science and physics teacher, who encouraged my interests in electronics and technology.

Upvote 0
My favourite teacher is Mr. V in 6th grade. He made anything and everything fun and interesting. We'd get random pop spelling quiz where he'd throw words that are meant for high schoolers at us, if you answer it right, you get $2. He had National Geographic Journals from the 70s and the kids would just go through them when they were bored, to see what the science published at the time were. We did all kind of science experiments that were fun and crazy. He brought his children's book in that they have out grown. If you like the book you can keep it. He built the base for my love for reading. For gym, we simply did random group activities. I came from a poor working class neighbourhood, so what he did was beyond most of the kids' expectations.

His passion for teaching passed onto his son, who is a high school teacher. I went to the same high school that his son taught in, though I didn't have the son as my teacher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones