• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation Bar Obscuring Apps in Android 9

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum. Typically I've been able to google away any android issue I've had (android user since 2010), but in this case, I'm not finding much information on this issue. I'm hoping maybe someone else has run into this and maybe has a fix. Enough with the fluff and to the main point.

I've noticed this issue particularly with youtube. In landscape mode, the navigation bar obscures the right side of the screen. This blocks the exit fullscreen mode or the end of the time bar. The notifications bar at the top will also display during this behavior. I can close the app or for stop and and this fixes the issue temporarily. However, if I put youtube into windowed mode to use another app while watching or listening to something, upon returning to youtube in fullscreen mode, that pesky navigation bar is back.

Without closing the app, you can tap on the screen and once the transport controls disappear, things appear normal again but this is not an ideal way to operate. I feel that this should work just as it did on android 8, when I did not experience this behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones