• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Beta Feedback on Live Wallpaper

RawApps

Apr 15, 2010
Hi everyone -
I've been working a live wallpaper based on some of my motion graphics work and am looking for some beta feedback before I start porting over more of my animations on to other live wallpapers.

I've tested this on my EVO and it's working as planned. I received some feedback

I'm looking for feedback on issues related to the following:

Does the animation properly fill the screen both horizontally and vertically? (Someone mentioned it didn't on Droid X)

Does the animation play smoothly?

Any other issues?

ss_fire_coolbg_01.png

I've attached a screenshot of the livewallpaper. It's an animated cool blue flame background. The apk can be downloaded here:

http://www.rawshorts.com/rawapps_livewallpaper_coolwall.apk

Any feedback would be appreciated. Including confirmation on a specific device. Thanks!!!

It works fine on my HTC Desire. I develop live wallpapers too so I know the challenge and putting out beta's for testing is always a good idea.

A few points;

- You need to rescale your canvas when you go into landscape mode. I never thought of this the first time I put out a wallpaper and it got a load of negative comments on the market. It's fairly easy to do once you get into it (basically check the canvas width and height in the OnLayoutChanged routine. If the width > height then you are in landscape mode.)

- Consider adding swipe effects. Basically your canvas will be twice the size of the visible screen. Using the OnOffsetsChanged routine you can make the background move as you swipe.

- Add some settings. Users like nothing more than playing around with there live wallpapers and the more options you give them the more they'll love your app.

Other than that it's really cool. I'd be interested to know how you did it. I'd be willing to code share when I get back to the office on Monday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones