• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with update

wncken

Mar 25, 2012
Okay, I got my mom a TP yesterday through Craigslist for $100 and I'm in the process of installing ICS. Somehow, I didn't get the latest release and now I'm trying to update it.
I bought the full CWM and when I select "Check for ROM Updates" it says, "You must upgrade your ROM Manager to the latest version!". On my TP, it's version 5.0.0.8. On mom's TP, it's 5.0.0.5.
How in the heck to I update ROM Manager?

Yes, picked it up locally last Saturday (Sams Club). I could have had all 5 if I liked since I was the first. :D

Still no shipping confirmation on my 6/28 order so I cancelled it (I think, no confirmation yet) on Monday. If it ships I suspect they'll say to refuse it, but I'd ask if anyone at work wants it first.

It's very fast and gpu benchmarks very high. Only one app incompatible so far and I know the guy who wrote it. No sdcard slot you you'd want the 16 gb version. I bet the next revision includes a 32 gb version. :D

It has a gps but you'd have to cache map data for your location in advance (or tether it) or install a map app since the gps just gives your location. Usually a Internet connection is used to show the area around you.

Battery life is great. I took it to work yesterday and it was powered on for 12 hours and people played games on it for 20 minutes. Battery was still at 92% after 12 hours. I DID have wifi turned off during that time tho.

Upvote 0
Cool - sounds good. Can you disable GPS and save a little more on battery? Not sure why it's included, unless it's just Google trying to keep an eye on you! lol.
What's funny is seeing all of the tablets popping up on Craigslist for unrealistic prices. Why would I want a year-and-a-half old 7" tablet for "just $225"?

Upvote 0
Yes, gps can be disabled, just like on a phone. I suspect it was part of the wifi chip and they could add a "feature" for cheap. It's a selling point in my book. I wanted one.

I saw the same thing, CL, refurbs, deal-of-the-day sites... Check the cpu and it's a 1ghz single or dual core for over $200. This thing has 4 cores and it's 1.3 ghz. I believe the gpu has 12. :D

Another feature I like. If you have a case with a cover (like a book) and it has an embedded magnet in the right place (easy to add, I did), the N7 will sleep with the cover closed and wake when it opens.... no buttons to push. (Now you gotta have one, right? :D)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones