• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need some advice on path to updating to Froyo

osignups

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
Hello everyone. Just picked up a Telus Motorola Milestone a few days ago and started getting my hands dirty reading on rooting and upgrading to Froyo. It's been very confusing but it looks like the community is also quite helpful. Here it goes.

Relevant Background Info:
Firmware Version - 2.1 update1
Kernel Version - 2.6.29-omap1

So far here's EXACTLY what I've done:

1) Gotten the drivers for my phone.

2) Rooted my phone using the superoneclick application available through xda. [APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.2 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers
I can tell that I have root because I now have the superuser icon
in my tray.

3):SOLVED: Pressing X and power button got me into recovery mode.
Currently when I want to reboot into recovery I have to send a command via usb every time using the adb program on the android sdk. Is that usual? I thought pressing the button combination would do that automatically.

4) UPDATE
I was able to flash my milestone using RSDLite 4.9 and I used the sdf file located on this page:
New SBF - to flash only the rootable recovery. On Szadzik's recommendation I unpacked the GOT OpenRecovery 2.0 zip file to the root of my sd card. I was able to then apply the update which brought me to the GOT recovery menu. I then proceeded with a nandroid backup.

At this point, what would I need to do to apply the GOT 2.2.1 ROM (which I imagine is froyo)? Did you recommend the GOT ROM in particular for a reason for the milestone?

1. To get into recovery mode, make sure you disconnect from the PC and press and hold Camera+Power until M appears, release power. Triangle appears, press Vol Up and Then Camera. If that does not work try pressing X on the keyboard and power until the triangle shows up.

2. To apply update.zip you first have to flash vulnerable recovery through RSDLite. It does not erase the phone or anything and takes 30 seconds. To do that go to bootloader mode (press up button on the dpad and power to get there) and connect the phone to PC, flash with RSD.

3. If you are going to use GOT 2.2.1 ROM then also use GOT OpenRecovery 2.0 as it already has some fixes needed for 2.2.1.

If you are rooted you can also use the app called QuickBoot which allows you to reboot, reboot into recovery, reboot into bootloader.

Reactions: osignups
Upvote 0
Szadzik, thanks for your answer. I've since updated my original post with what I did. At where I am at step 4 would I need to do anything else before I apply the GOT 2.2.1 ROM? Did you recommend that one in particular for a reason for the milestone?

1. If you have GOT OR it will only make it easier.
2. I can only recommend GOT because it is the one I am using.
3. GOT's OR has some fixes preconfigured so it needs less fixing on your own.
4. The procedure to install it:
a. Make sure you backup your stuff, but read about restoring the backups on GOT's website.
b. Use instructions on GOT's website on checking and writing down your Android device ID to save yours. (The *.db file is located in data/data/com.android.sproviders.settings/databases/settings.db - this is where you check it before flashing and here you add it after flashing).
c. Go to GOT website, carefully read the instructions there and download the appropriate file.
d. Use RSD to flash the phone.
e. Boot into recovery and apply the fixes, remove stock apps, root the phone.
e. Restore your Android device ID you wrote down in step b.

Enjoy the new 2.2 ROM.

P.S. If you have any questions on anything that is not described clearly on the GOT website post in this topic and I will try to help you (I think epecially the part with Android ID may be tricky).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones