• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need to Root Again

I have always been partial to NOT use Unrevoked. I'm not sure if it's because I have never used it, or what... but I would prefer not to use it. I just got a replacement EVO and I need to re-root it. Last time I used this guide to downgrade to 2.1, but instead of using the unrevoked forever part from there to root I switched back to toasts method of rooting 2.1.

The only problem with that was I lost my PRI with the downgrade. My new phone just came with the PRI 1.71_003, so I would prefer to keep it there.

Anyways, is unrEVOked really that bad? I've heard that it has been causing lots of problems with 4g, and other stuff like that. Now that they have the s-on tool I'm not as worried about it as I used to be.

It seems like it is hard to find a root method now that doesnt use unrEVOked. Am I just biased and should I give it a shot? Or am I right to worry? :cool:

I have always been partial to NOT use Unrevoked. I'm not sure if it's because I have never used it, or what... but I would prefer not to use it. I just got a replacement EVO and I need to re-root it. Last time I used this guide to downgrade to 2.1, but instead of using the unrevoked forever part from there to root I switched back to toasts method of rooting 2.1.

The only problem with that was I lost my PRI with the downgrade. My new phone just came with the PRI 1.71_003, so I would prefer to keep it there.

Anyways, is unrEVOked really that bad? I've heard that it has been causing lots of problems with 4g, and other stuff like that. Now that they have the s-on tool I'm not as worried about it as I used to be.

It seems like it is hard to find a root method now that doesnt use unrEVOked. Am I just biased and should I give it a shot? Or am I right to worry? :cool:

The flashable version of the 1.77 PRI is now available so you dont have to worry about losing it. Unrevoked did cause problems with 4G with unrevoked 2 but that was a long time ago and I haven't heard of anything since. I also used Toast's method to root so I dont have much experience with unrevoked.

Upvote 0
The flashable version of the 1.77 PRI is now available so you dont have to worry about losing it. Unrevoked did cause problems with 4G with unrevoked 2 but that was a long time ago and I haven't heard of anything since. I also used Toast's method to root so I dont have much experience with unrevoked.

Thanks for the reply. Right, I know about the 1.77, but it's not an official release right? I'd rather just stay with 1.71. So for Toasts method can I just use this part 1 and this part 2? I have a hard time telling if these have been updated or not. And does anyone know if that guide will downgrade the PRI?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Right, I know about the 1.77, but it's not an official release right? I'd rather just stay with 1.71. So for Toasts method can I just use this part 1 and this part 2? I have a hard time telling if these have been updated or not. And does anyone know if that guide will downgrade the PRI?

I think that the 1.77 PRI came with the latest OTA. Just use simpleroot once you downgrade to 2.1 and I think it does downgrade PRI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones