• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nesoid + Nexus 1 = Control Fail?

dvandam

May 17, 2010
I really want to get Nesoid to work properly on my Nexus One but I'm starting to feel like I'm SOL, which may be a deal breaker if this is common behavior with Nexus One games. I don't know if this is a multi-touch thing or whatever, but when I try to play platforming games (like Super Mario Bros) I find the D-Pad to be rather spastic and unresponsive at the worst times, and I'm about 99% sure I can't use a control button at the same time as the A or B key, meaning in SMB I can't perform a running jump. I tried messing around a bit with the control placements and button sizes, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone provide me with some insight on this? I googled around and not many people seem to be having this same issue. Is this something that can be remedied with a custom rom or something along those lines? Is this a Nesoid exclusive problem, meaning that Gensoid or Snesoid don't encounter the same problems? Please help because as I said, if this is going to be a lingering issue where my games are limited by my lack of a decent touchscreen, I need to know NOW because that may convince me to return my N1 and go for the Moto Droid or another model that has more hard keys available. Thanks.

You can't do anything about it, it is a big problem for all HTC phones and my only gripe with the Nexus One. It happens in all games, that depend on multitouch for controls, that's why I urge every developer in my reviews to support the trackball and D-Pad on the devices.

But your emulator problem won't go away with a milestone, even that has limitations with how many buttons you can push simultaniously, check this video at the 2:10 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eMUgfaQZM

Be happy with the Nexus One until the next Phone, that Google hands out to their employees, that'll be the one I'll get or get the Samsung Galaxy S.

Upvote 0
Have you tried setting the virtual buttons layout to Top-bottom?
It avoids the nexus' multi touch issue by separating the axis.
I'm still having issues where stuff isn't registering correctly, as well as problems with the buttons being so close to the soft keys that often they'll register instead. Nothing says "Death Trap" like trying to hit the A button and instead you're thrown back to the Home screen..

Is this a Nexus One exclusive problem, or would I probably experience these same issues if I got the Incredible or the EVO?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones