• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Netarchy Toastmod 4.3.2 CFS more HAVS nosbc

the guide only mentions that havs kernels can be counterproductive. it has never been an issue with me. havs kernels are designed to fluctuate the voltage depending on the amount of use. by setting up a lot of profiles can actually decrease battery life. overclocking and underclocking should ne ok with havs kernels. if you are going to overclock the kernel just make sure that you do not have the set on boot checked. if it is set too high you could be stuck in a boot loop.

Upvote 0
Some people notice worse battery life when using a combination of setcpu profiles and HAVS. In theory, though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it. Setcpu profiles deal with variable frequencies, while HAVS deals with variable voltage. They do not conflict. That being said, certain battery savings methods are actually worse for the battery when used incorrectly. Such is the case with setcpu profiles because it has to constantly check if the state has changed. As for HAVS, this is the general rule:

1) If you use your phone constantly, and it spends more time awake than with the screen off, don't use HAVS. You'll just be forcing the cpu to constantly change the voltage.
2) If you use your phone a light to moderate (or even heavy in spurts) amount, use HAVS. You see the benefit to HAVS when the screen is off for longer periods of time. This is the case for most people, which is why it works well for most, but not all. Of course, it varies from phone to phone as well. This is a generalization, only.

Upvote 0
I think with version 4.3.1 and after the screen tearing issue should be fixed:

Notes for Revision 4.3.2
- Wimax code updated, 4g should behave a bit better
- SD card read ahead fixed, higher class SD cards should
have an easier time reaching their potential speeds

Notes for Revision 4.3.1
- Screen tearing issues on sense roms should be fixed

Upvote 0
Yes, it *should* fix screen tearing, but 4.3.1 only had a generic HAVS version, while 4.3.2 went back to both a more and less aggressive version. So, you could *potentially* still see some screen tearing on 4.3.2 with aggressive HAVS. It is less likely, though.

Thanks for the info! Ive always stuck with 4.3.1 for my roms since its always worked for me, lol

Upvote 0
You know I think I might just leave all this alone. It seems like this is all trial and error.(And I don't wont to be the error) I started out to just stop paying for internet twice a month I accomplished it..( Thanks Mr. Sticky lol) I'm getting ready to UNINSTALL "setcpu" all it does is annoy me now. Its saying my phone is at 40c which is 105f. ... ha ha yea right....(I cant even play angry birds any more cause my phone gets to hot. LOL ( thats for the birds get it ha ha ha ) I get these notices over and over again. I have more headache's now then i did when I was paying for internet twice....... its like veges "cut your loses". I would love to see some of these costume Roms on my phone though. Non Science. Its all bitting of someone else's work. Sorry to say but its just not that important to me. I do want to thank ocnbrze though he helped me ALOT. THANKS - I'm a music gunky I get moved with music. ( hey XDA How but make a true music app that can catalog.. CAT-O-LOG. .... WOW catalog music. the music apps i find are SHIT not phone hacking. I thought I could branch out. ........... and also thanks akazabam good night all and marryxmas. 9 days and i'm a yr older dame i feel underachieved.

Upvote 0
I do not have this file in my pc. but got lost as to where to down load the file

1) Verify you don't already have flash_image (open terminal and type "which flash_image". If it just says not found, you need to flash it. If it gives you a location (most likely /system/bin/flash_image) your ROM already has this, and you can skip to step 4.
2) Flash flash_image-signed.zip from recovery.
3) Reboot normally when done.
4) Extract recovery.img from the PC36IMG.zip for the recovery you want
5) Copy recovery.img to the root of your sdcard
6) From the terminal type:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Once you reboot into recovery, you'll have whatever recovery you just flashed. Note that steps one and two only have to be done once.

Upvote 0
ok to get a recovery installed onto your phone:
1)download the file from here Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire to your pc.
2)rename the file "PC36IMG". if you have wondows do not add ".zip" in the name as windows hides extensions.
3)transfer it to the root of your card (not in any folders, top level)
4)power off and press and hold power+vol down
5)that will get you into bootloader (hboot) and it will automatically scan for the file.
6) your done you should have a new recovery!

Upvote 0
was looking through you sig. link and the kernel guide at the same time there are so many options.................i kinda like bfs because i don't use my phone that much but when i use it "i use it" and I like the thought of all power being sent to what i am doing at the time but at the same token I do not use my phone in this fasion all the time so less aggressive seems more my style. I guess i will have to look through your page and find the nomenclature that fits my usage. do i sound like i understand ??????

Upvote 0
Some people notice worse battery life when using a combination of setcpu profiles and HAVS. In theory, though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it. Setcpu profiles deal with variable frequencies, while HAVS deals with variable voltage. They do not conflict. That being said, certain battery savings methods are actually worse for the battery when used incorrectly. Such is the case with setcpu profiles because it has to constantly check if the state has changed. As for HAVS, this is the general rule:

1) If you use your phone constantly, and it spends more time awake than with the screen off, don't use HAVS. You'll just be forcing the cpu to constantly change the voltage.
2) If you use your phone a light to moderate (or even heavy in spurts) amount, use HAVS. You see the benefit to HAVS when the screen is off for longer periods of time. This is the case for most people, which is why it works well for most, but not all. Of course, it varies from phone to phone as well. This is a generalization, only.
What if you spend a lot of time listening to mp3's or streaming audio? Any opinion as to whether HAVS would help or hurt in that case?

Upvote 0
What if you spend a lot of time listening to mp3's or streaming audio? Any opinion as to whether HAVS would help or hurt in that case?

Well, I basically what I meant by "screen off" was when the phone is asleep. If you're listening to mp3s with the screen off, the phone is obviously still awake, and the frequency is going to change. If you use it a lot, as in most of the day, that way, I would say you might benefit by not using HAVS. It's not a one size fits all rule. Try both. In theory, you might get better battery life out of noHAVS.

Upvote 0
So I finely flashed a kernel. Thanks for all your help guys. Seems to be working ok. The SetCpu app. reacts very different now though. A couple times while changing the settings my phone froze or rebooted.. also its Conservative and power save settings drastically scale back my phone (I love this and is why I started down the road in the first place) as where with the stock sence kernel these options where not available in SetCpu. So I think I'll play with it for a little see whats what

Upvote 0

...good bit of info

Upvote 0
Well, I basically what I meant by "screen off" was when the phone is asleep. If you're listening to mp3s with the screen off, the phone is obviously still awake, and the frequency is going to change. If you use it a lot, as in most of the day, that way, I would say you might benefit by not using HAVS. It's not a one size fits all rule. Try both. In theory, you might get better battery life out of noHAVS.

so if i sync email to my phone every hour at peak hours and as it comes on non peak does that mean its not really off since there is running processes in the background? and therefore it will be more benefitial to use the no-havs over the havs?

please advise.

thanks.

Upvote 0
so if i sync email to my phone every hour at peak hours and as it comes on non peak does that mean its not really off since there is running processes in the background? and therefore it will be more benefitial to use the no-havs over the havs?

please advise.

thanks.

Well, here's the thing - if you're using HAVS, the voltage is going to change as the frequency does. If you have a screen-off profile, the frequency will not go higher than you tell it to, so HAVS is irrelevant. Things that sync, though, do need to wake up the phone. That's what wake locks are. They should only last for a few seconds - a few minutes. Anything that holds the phone awake longer than that isn't releasing its wake locks. That's when you have a problem. HAVS should matter that much unless you don't have a screen-off profile.

Reactions: mecampo
Upvote 0
Well, here's the thing - if you're using HAVS, the voltage is going to change as the frequency does. If you have a screen-off profile, the frequency will not go higher than you tell it to, so HAVS is irrelevant. Things that sync, though, do need to wake up the phone. That's what wake locks are. They should only last for a few seconds - a few minutes. Anything that holds the phone awake longer than that isn't releasing its wake locks. That's when you have a problem. HAVS should matter that much unless you don't have a screen-off profile.

i do have a screen off profile so i guess i'm good with havs right :)

thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones