• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android Phones (That aren't 4g) ?

How is it cheaper? The data plan at Verizon that is required for these phones is $30/mo. It's $90/mo total for 450 min plus data. It's $70 for the same plan at Sprint. Add in the $10 premium data charge, and it's $80.

He took out the text part, so it's only $70, not $90, but he still failed at math, lol. It's $10 cheaper not $15. Carefully read what he has written.

He's comparing apples to oranges. He's comparing Verizon's cheapest talk and data plan only to Sprint's 450 plan. For him, that's VERY cheap, for everyone else, it's a rip off.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
He took out the text part, so it's only $70, not $90, but he still failed at math, lol. It's $10 cheaper not $15. Carefully read what he has written.

He's comparing apples to oranges. He's comparing Verizon's cheapest talk and data plan only to Sprint's 450 plan. For him, that's VERY cheap, for everyone else, it's a rip off.

Let me get the Crayolas out for you fanboys to draw a picture.

First of all, since I'm a "paid shill" isn't it funny that I own no Verizon products? I have Comcast cable, not Verizon's FIOS. I gave up my Verizon land line years ago. I have never have owned a Verizon cellphone. I don't know how many years I've been on Sprint. I'm guessing it's about 10. At work they have Verizon under contract. That's where I've gained a positive view of their network's performance. I've actually benchmarked their wireless as part of my job.

Oh, BTW, this "paid shill" just re-signed with Sprint for another 2 years. Though that story is illustrative of most of my gripes.

One bitch is their complete mismanagement of their EVO shortages. Long story short, yesterday I decided that I'll put myself on a waiting list at a Sprint store. If I get an EVO before my contract runs out I'll probably go with them.

So I walk into a Sprint store and there's a young couple in front of me trying to get their account changed in front of me. The Sprint rep there wasn't able to solve their problem so they leave (BTW, I'm not criticizing the rep; I specifically go to this store because he's very good and the only local Sprint rep I know of who doesn't have a don't give a $%&* attitude). I had him take me off the Epic wait list because of the price. As an aside, he hadn't heard the pricing yet and he said - without prompting from me - he was shocked it was that high. As an aside, while he was helping me he got a phone call from another unhappy customer questioning why they were forced to pay $10 more dollars on their plan just because they wanted one of Sprint's decent Android phones.

Anyway, I asked him to put me on his EVO waiting list. He told me he had one in stock. My lucky day. The couple in front of me ran into the same problem I am. The husband had an affordable company plan and when he found about all the plan minimums and surcharges choked on the price. Unlike me, he walked away from the EVO he reserved. Me? I'm the sort of sucker Sprint wants. I saw my bill go from around $68 to I think it's $87 now. All because I want a decent new Android phone.

But now I get all those features you fanboys have accused me of lying about. Like NASCAR. Only I'm not a NASCAR fan. Like texting. I can literally count on 1 hand the number of text messages I've received. I've never sent one in my life. I get mobile to mobile calling nationwide. With rare exception, everyone I'd call is on Verizon which is why Verizon's plan restrictions are no big deal. Did I mention I rarely use 100 anytime minutes a month?

I need email. Web access. That's why I'm on Sprint's data plan.

Now I'm comparing apples and oranges here a bit. The $87 I'm paying now (again, I'm going by memory) includes fees and taxes. When I visited Verizon they quoted me $65 without taxes and fees. Now, even you fanboys will have to admit $87 is more than $65. I can get any hot new Android at Verizon for $199. The only similar phone it looks like Sprint has a chance to stock adequately (and this is speculation - but this is what my local Sprint rep told me he was told) is the Epic at $249. Even you fanboys have to admit it's the most expensive Android phone on the market. Which left me and others fighting the EVO shortage.

Before you fanboys rush to call me a "liar" again I'll try to roll through the math for you though I don't have the quote in front of me. I get a 15% Verizon discount through work. I picked up their 450 minutes plan at $39.99 + unlimited data at $29.99 + insurance at $7. He quoted me $65 but doing the math I get $65.43. I better include the 43 cents because, again, I don't want to be accused of "lying."

I don't recall what my old plan was without taxes and fees but we're in the ballpark of a buck or two, I suspect.

If you Sprint 'lawyers' nitpick through the fine print of Sprint's and Verizon's contracts to come up with some other amounts, I'm willing to file a legal deposition with my bills as exhibits, the written Verizon estimate, and I'll ask if the Verizon rep is willing to testify under oath. :D

Even the Sprint rep who sold me the EVO couldn't explain Sprint's $69.99 plan requirement for 4G. He started with the company line about it gives you a better 4G experience but couldn't finish because he started laughing. Literally.

One tipping point is 4G. I bit on the temptation on experimenting with it versus locking into a 3G phone at Verizon with their LTE on the horizon. I suspect I'd get locked into 3G and get frustrated waiting for my plan to expire to move up to an LTE phone. Thus far, I've got to admit Sprint's 4G in the wild is a bit better than I expected. My house gets a useable 4G signal even though Sprint's map clearly shows me in one of their many holes without coverage. However, I've only had the phone one night and haven't done much with it.

Maybe, in the end, Sprint's 4G is worth all the up-charges (I've barely played with 3G on the EVO but it's fast too). The jury's still out. However, unlike you, I'm not going to run through Sprint's list of features by rote as if it means anything. The proof's in the pudding.

Have I provided enough detail so you fanboys can't nitpick, datamine and speculate I'm a "liar"?

One last thought. Rather than being a "shill" for the other guys, I want Sprint to succeed. Their success has been as a value leader. I fear they're losing that leadership. They're getting cute by gouging over their 4G. However, everything I've read is their WiMax is inferior to Verizon's LTE plus Verzion's LTE will have an even larger footprint than their market leading 3G network. I think Sprint should stick yesterday, today, and tomorrow with their value leadership because if Verizon doesn't jack up their prices when they go 4G Sprint is in trouble. As I've pointed out, their 4G premium puts them at a huge price disadvantage in my case.

Reactions: olhoni
Upvote 0
Cbanks, That's funny considering that Dan Hesse has already stated they're looking into LTE as well.

Sprint’s Dan Hesse: We’re Considering a T-Mobile Merger, LTE for the Future | Android Phone Fans

Sprint considering launching LTE network to attract T-Mobile

Oh by the way, ClearWire is ready to test LTE and WiMax in Phoenix later this year to see how it goes.

Wham!!! There goes your silly theory on Sprint not paying attention!!! Seems Sprint's Wi-max and LTE is gonna be faster then Verizon's LTE!!! Read and weep!!!

Clearwire LTE Trials - The Fastest Internet on Earth? | GoingWiMAX.com

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
How you missed "In my case" I don't know. But I don't appreciate being accused of being a troll or a liar or stupid because you rush off to flame me before you bother to think about what I'm really saying.

One thing I didn't bother to mention is Sprint's night and weekends. It starts a 7 PM instead of 9 PM. Did I lie, troll, deceive, or am I stupid for not mentioning it? Hardly. My posts are long enough without me going into every single detail. However, let me educate you here. That's the only feature in the 450 minute plan Sprint offers that'll I'm miss if I leave them. As it stands now, the Verizon plan looks like it fits my calling patterns.

I have never used video voicemail. I have no interest in video voicemail. If that feature is important to you then speak up and say in your case its a reason to stick with Sprint.

One reason Verizon can get away with charging more for their network - though in my case I can get the same plan for the same price as Sprint based upon my needs - is because they have a stronger network, something left unmentioned by you. Note, I won't flame you for the omission. Depending on where you live or travel, it's no big deal. Heck, Sprint might be better in your market. However, I can honestly say I've been in many situations where I couldn't get decent signal from Sprint that Verizon buddies can.

BTW, It's VISUAL voicemail not video voicemail.

I can see how your comparing plans for you, Verizon with no texting. Oh and BTW, Sprints plans are unlimited any mobile calling, not just Sprint calls. Verizon has unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling to any Verizon cell phone. That's a huge deal, for me! ;)

Upvote 0
Anyway, this thread has gone way off topic. I originally wanted to know if Sprint was going to get any more Android phones that weren't 4g? I'm not switching to Verizon so I don't really care how much their plans are or what phones they have. I'm in the Sprint forums because I want to know about SPRINT! Thank you. :)

Doubt it, 4G is the future and Sprint is looking ahead. I hope Sprint doesn't get caught with their pants down again, when Verizon gets their LTE up and running. Hopefully by then, Sprint will have Wi-fi max and LTE working hand in hand. I'm sure next year most if all of the new android phones will have 4G built in.

Upvote 0
Aren't a lot of us in the same boat? It ain't being "cheap" because Sprint's 4G service isn't worth $10! I've played with 4G EVOs in 4 different locations and, with one exception, the performance boost is barely noticeable, if noticeable at all, and the 4G keeps dropping down to 3G constantly even though I'm not moving (the darn phones are wired to the table :D).

It's even worse than $10 in my case because I have the 450 minutes + the data plan and they'd force me to upgrade to the $69.99 everything data plan. I don't text. I don't give a rip about Sprint TV or Sprint Navigation.

Sprint's mid-tier Andorid phones just suck raw eggs!

Speaking of overcharging, Sprint is gouging customers on their new Samsung Epic at $249.99. It's the most expensive Android phone on the market by 25%! The EVO is a decent choice but they haven't been able to stock them in months and there's no end in sight to the shortage. My local Best Buy says the waiting list is 3-6 weeks and they don't even have confidence in getting them that quick.

Sprint's a complete mess and they're jacking up their prices like they were Verizon or something with a full range of decent phones in stock and one of the best networks in the business. In their dreams!

My contract's up October 1 and I'm slowly talking myself into bailing for Verizon. Sprint's not only incompetent in stocking decent phones they don't give a rip about informing their customer when things will get better. Probably because the clowns don't plan on making things better! :eek:

Sorry for the rant but I'm so frustrated with Sprint of late I'm really torqued.

The price is based on Samsung's MSRP - Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Not the carriers suggested price.
The lack of phones is due to only 1 company in the world can make the touchscreens that are on most smart phones and they are called Samsung. iPhone, Torch and EVO all have screens made by the same company. That company is launching the Galaxy S on 190 carriers worldwide and cannot produce enough screens for themselves and everyone else too. The supply is not a Sprint or HTC issue. it's Samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones