• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android user guide

1. You'll need to go down the rooting method...

2. Just sit tight, you'll get it... one day... maybe (branded updates are usually way behind non-branded)

3. That's a very broad question. Whatever it is you want to do, i'm certain there's an app for it. All i can say is have a good mooch

4. GPS itself is free (your coordinates), but you'll need data to put the map on the screen. I'm not sure about the latest official gb (2.3) update as i use cm7 rom, but once i've gone over my route once, it stays without further downloading until i reboot.
As xyro mentioned, there are satnav apps that store all routes you've done before to memory & therefore no need to download again ever. But these aren't free.

Without a data plan, find out what charges will apply, even minimal network data usage could be costly.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the stock firmware come with a HTC app that stores map data to the sdcard?

I think I've heard that, but I never actually used the app my self before switching to CM7.

Yes mine came with "Locations" and saves maps on the sd card. Everytime I reset my phone it defaults back to japan and then i have to download the Canada maps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones