• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New App Idea for Security

Dear All

it's been few months that I have been looking for an specific application on Android but I have not been able to find anything like it , so i was wondering if the community may know of such an app .

I Like to have an application that can Factory Reset my phone when I unlock the phone with a specific finger . So when i have the phone locked an in my pocket , but when i Unlock it using one of my fingers which i have set in the application previously , the application should be able to completely factory reset the phone without asking for any confirmation or password or passcode .

Let me explain more , The reason i'm looking for such an application is that I live in Iran and as you may know the situation is very bad and anytime you are in the street you may get arrested by the police and they always steal people phone from them and use the information in the phone against them . So with this app , if i'm ever arrested in the streets i just scan my finger and the phone is reset with no data .

I wish we can find or create such application .

thank you .

If the concern is the police accessing information on the phone that implies that regular lockscreen security isn't enough. And the obvious reason it wouldn't be would be if the police can force you to unlock it, which makes a fingerprint scanner insufficient in this circumstance. A friend remotely wiping only works if you are able to tell the friend to do it. So I can see where this request is coming from: the ability to slip your hand into your pocket and wipe the phone with one touch, or do so when you are taking it out to give to them.

Unfortunately I don't know of any such app. I don't know whether the fingerprint security API that a third party app can use would identify which finger was used: more likely it just returns true or false for whether the fingerprint was valid. But I could imagine how something like this could be done: a third party lockscreen that used a PIN to unlock or a fingerprint to erase, for example (provided you can still actually replace the system lockscreen with a third party one: it's been years since I used something like that so I don't know). But it's a niche application, so you'd need to find someone with the skills to develop it: if it exists it's low-enough profile that I've never heard a hint of it.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine an app that can do what you're asking about is going to be available in any publicly available/consumer-focused Android app repository. The chances of such an app would make it much too easy for someone to accidentally or inadvertently erase their own data.

But it is a very interesting concept. Like in Iran, there are so many places across the planet where law enforcement and/or military rule will typically deny citizenry any kind of privacy protections. You might have a better chance at obtaining an app like this by paying an independent, Android app developer to create it for you. This is something of a special purpose kind of app, its functionality only being useful to limited numbers of users.
Around here (suburbs west of Chicago, IL) there are numerous such options to find app developers, and there are online search sites specifically for them, an example being:
https://www.netguru.com/hire-developers
I don't know just what the app developers market is like in Iran.

Upvote 0
Iran used to be the last country on earth that did sightseeing tours using a Boeing 707 jetliner (my favorite jetliner too) back in 2016. Sad how bad things have become...

I don't know about the local laws there, but in many countries, biometric security isn't a protection against the police or carries the same legal protection as a PIN or pattern or password. In the USA for example, the law enforcement can force you to use biometrics to unlock but legally cannot force you to provide your PIN or password.

So the most effective solution would be a hard to brute-force Password, that when entered wrong, first makes the other person wait 30 minutes, then an hour, and ultimately wipes the device after so many attempts. That's built in.

Upvote 0
Dear All

it's been few months that I have been looking for an specific application on Android but I have not been able to find anything like it , so i was wondering if the community may know of such an app .

I Like to have an application that can Factory Reset my phone when I unlock the phone with a specific finger . So when i have the phone locked an in my pocket , but when i Unlock it using one of my fingers which i have set in the application previously , the application should be able to completely factory reset the phone without asking for any confirmation or password or passcode .

Let me explain more , The reason i'm looking for such an application is that I live in Iran and as you may know the situation is very bad and anytime you are in the street you may get arrested by the police and they always steal people phone from them and use the information in the phone against them . So with this app , if i'm ever arrested in the streets i just scan my finger and the phone is reset with no data .

I wish we can find or create such application .

thank you .

Dear friend,

First, my heart goes out to you and your wonderful country and I apologize for the lack of help and leadership from my own.

Many here in the US are very sympathetic to those who struggle for Liberty and Freedom in your country. May God preserve you and bless you and your family with his love and companionship.

Second, that is a great idea! I promise to keep my eyes open for such an app.

Upvote 0
There are several applications available for Android and iOS devices that can factory reset a phone without requiring a confirmation, password, or passcode. These apps can typically be found in app stores or online and may have different features and capabilities depending on the device and operating system. However, you should be careful while using these apps as they can also erase all personal data, including contacts, messages, and apps, and it can't be undone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones