• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Dream to replace glitchy T-Mobile G1, but I got problems...

I recently purchased a brand new Dream/G1 from an eBay Vendor in HongKong - cellphoneforever is the vendor's eBay handle.

The phone appears in every way to be authentic, has the T-Mobile name instead of the Dream's HTC, is as identical as can be to my old G1 that I purchased from T-Mobile over two years ago. My original G1 - my pride and joy - finally found it's way into a puddle of water in a parking lot and ended up with a few issues on the keyboard that made it a major hassle to use (I loathe the screen based "keypad" so I needed a solution). My family has 3 other data-plan android phones, which are all nice, but I still like the G1 better, so I went online to find a replacement. I probably should have purchased a used G1 here in the states, but was lured by the opportunity to purchase a G1 out of the "unsold cache of G1's" of legend that somehow never made it to the states. Unfortunately, although it came with T-Mo documentation, is rooted, and therefore not fully T-Mo'd if you will.

My only real issue with the phone is that right from the start screen, there's a fake G1 logo, and it has what is essentially an "empty" android market (including a close-but-different market logo to the one on my old G1), and as a result, I have no access to my old apps.

Does Anyone out there know how or if I can simply lift all the original T-Mobile based apps and plant them firmly in my new G1? I transferred the mini-SD and SIM from my old phone to the new one, but the background (mine) and apps aren't transferring.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Steve in Seattle

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones