• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Droid X User

wicozani

Lurker
Dec 6, 2010
Greetings, everyone, from the Black Hills of South Dakota! My wife and I just bought 2 new Droid Xs this weekend, using Verizon's BOGO special. As I'm coming from a significantly tweaked Palm Treo, I'm definitely interested in modifying my X a fair deal. However, with this new 2.2 OS I've got some learning to do. Apparently the first thing I need to figure out is how to backup and restore (SBF?) my X safely. Hints?

I'm really looking forward to learning with everyone and, quite possibly, doing some sharing myself.

Jeff

Ok, an update. My DX is now rooted! Used Z4 Root, which ultimately did the job. However, not without difficulties. It hung on me twice (exploided for over an hour each time), and froze once. Each time I uninstalled Z4, rebooted, and tried again. Finally, on the 4th try it happened quickly (within 5 minutes), and the DX was now rooted. Confirmed by Superuse, Busybox, and the fact that Droid Overclock works fine. Initial quadrant score (stock settings) of 1356. Now to make a backup, deodex, and begin to have a lot of fun! Thanks for the awesome repository of priceless instructions and tips here!

Jeff

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones