• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Galaxy S3 - Two Questions

brackct

Lurker
Aug 17, 2012
Hi, this is my first post.

Have the 32 MB version of the S3 on Verizon

1. When the photo gallery is opened the phone immediately starts uploading photos from my computer... I have all file sharing that I can find turned off. It only uploads photos from certain folders.. not all photos. I have not provided any information to the S3 regarding any folders on my computer and the two have never been connected other than being on the same wireless network. This behavior repeats each time the gallery is opened.. the photo are not permanently uploaded but are streamed temporarily somehow. Would like to stop this behavior.

2. Is it possible to specify where photos received via email and txt msgs are manually stored? The default seems to be the Download folder on my SD card. I do not want to waste space on Dropbox by syncing unnecessary files from that folder. Is there a way to change the storage folder for received photos that I save on the SD Card so I can only store photos there?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

@TarheelGolfer: Thanks for the attempt at answering my first question. From what I can tell all DNLA on the phone is turned off (not active). Could it be pushed from my computer to the phone somehow (I don't know if this even makes any sense)?

Anyone else with a suggestion for either of my questions?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
@breezex: Yes, the phone is connected to my home wi-fi for normal internet use but I don't see where I have any "sharing" turned on. On the settings tab under "more settings" I have everything turned off on sharing that I can find. Is there a specific place to look for the switch?

Thanks...

Upvote 0
@breezex: Thanks for the link.. I didnt find that one with my search. Looks as though the problem is with shared folders from one of my computers. Whille I can stop the behavior on the phone by turning off file sharing on those folders on that computer, I really want a way to disable it from the phone so I can continue to share folders with another computer on the network. Any idea how that could be accomplished?

Any feedback for my 2nd question... changing locations where photos sent by others are stored on the phone?

Thanks...

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Thanks to all that replied.

It appears that I will have to turn off streaming from my network to prevent the Galaxy from receiving it. Seems to me there should be a switch on the phone to disable receipt of streaming on the phone because this "solution" will prevent streaming to other devices where I do want it to occur.

Also seems unusual to me that received photos cannot be directed to a folder for that purpose on the phone. If they can only be saved in a general Download folder that contains other downloaded files, its a serious shortcoming.

My previous phone (HTC Droid Incredible) did not suffer from either of these problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones