• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Google Hangouts Updates and Discussion

xdrc45

Android Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2012
Great White, MI
Alright guys and gals... The New Hangouts v2.1 APK/update is technically available... It's really being rolled out from google in stages at this point and isn't available on the Play Store just yet.
Luckily for us though it has already been captured and mirrored.
I've already downloaded it, tested it and it has been working perfectly for the past day for me. I do enjoy the merged conversations... It's nice to have one thread, instead of having two separate threads from my wife and some of my other contact's.

The new update brings...
Merged SMS and Hangouts conversations from the same sender/recipient - A well over due feature. There is also a switch to revert back to separate conversations if preferred.
Simplified contacts - Lists two main contacts groups, people you hangout with and general contacts.
Quick widget - Lists recent conversations.
Plus there's added improvement and stability for video calls and SMS/MMS messaging.

If your interested in trying out the new Hangouts v2.1 then head on over to the original thread - [APK] Google Hangouts v2.1 Brings Merged Conversations, Simplified Contacts, and More!

Reactions: psst and akmsr
I downloaded the new hangouts from the play store. I get a unknown user message under my new messages (SMS) causing my lightflow to keep blinking.

same here!

I deleted the thread, then it came back no matter how much i deleted it.

I did get rid of it finlly though. Open the thread, and delete the message inside it, then delete the thread, and it should be gone.

Upvote 0
Google Hangouts has been updated to 2.5.816
There are many new features included some are -
confirmed phone numbers, like some of the other competing SMS style message services, this will allow people who know you to search for your Google+/Hangouts profile with just your cell phone number.
Send location link to the person that you're in a conversation with.
Plus adding stickers, which are colorful alternative to emoji and live video filtering when using video chat/call.

You can check the original thread here and actually download the new Hangouts apk, before it even starts to roll out in stages through the play store - http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...lters-contextual-tools-and-stickers/#download

The Apk mirror download is at the bottom of the thread.... Looks cool, Try it out!

Reactions: DonB and Brian706
Upvote 0
poop.gif
temp.png
Here is the Hangouts Stickers app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quinny898.app.stickersforhangouts

To use, install the stickers app.
Open up Hangouts and click on the "Paperclip" (attachment icon) and select add photo, then select Documents. There will now be 2 options for handouts attachments.
1. Hangouts Draw - allows you to draw images or messages. Kind of like paint and you can select the size of you pencil tip.

2. Hangouts stickers - allows you to add large animated stickers/gifs to your messages.

Pretty neat and fun anyway... So have fun with it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones