• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Google Play Website

We all know that google made a lot of changes in the last Google Play Store web version, and one of things I'm missing is the "Featured Image", which is the cool graphic of your app (beside the logo). Developers Console still has the option to upload your featured image, even when its not displayed anymore. So... is it going to come back? Is there a way I can retrieve a featured image with an url? is Google playing with us?

:(

Upvote 0
Google would have to be stupid not to try n tap into a market like that mate. Maybe this is part of the reason theyre moving towards this big clear icon based interface that people are complaining about?

I think it's happened, or it's starting. As of today I'm seeing paid apps and games priced in Chinese Yuan (RMB) on Play.

Now Google will have to work with the manufacturers here to get Play on devices, rather than the usual Baidu or whatever app stores.

Although the Chinese app stores mostly offer the free(ad-supported) home grown apps and games. And the paid model for MP3 downloads hasn't worked at all, they have to give them away. So I'm not sure if China is up for actually paying for Android software.

China seems to like big garish coloured icons.

A few days ago Plus became available in the PRC.....hmmmm.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
china is the great untapped play market. Im sure they're dying to get in over there.

Google also announced a "google education" section they are branching out this year, announcing to devs they want to try and get into the actual education market here in the US. like part of the school day stuff. Im figuring big pretty pictures plays right along with that too.

speaking of going for the kill, anyone else noticed the "google artists" section down at the VERY bottom next to developers? I thought it was for graphics, but I clicked on it and its a whole sell your music kind of thing.

Google Play for Artists: Sell your original music

same deal as with apps, $25 fee they keep 30%. basically going at iTunes and Record Companies at the same time. Very interesting to see how this pans out.

Upvote 0
Google had better get into education. Apple is handing out and contracting for Ipads right and left. Windows is starting to.

After that hullabaloo about the kid accused of drugs when it was candy a while ago
I'd want something in the house I can control.

(the school gave the kids apple laptops and they all had cameras and mikes enabled.
I think the kid had skittles or something and some administrator thought the Skittles were drugs)

I just got a new 7 laptop, and the freaking stuff was enabled. Despite MS protests about convenience - camera and mike now disabled. (laptop a refurb with OEM 7 pro installed)

Upvote 0
The thread title is "New Google Play Website", folks. Please keep it on-topic. ;)

Of course, but at the same time I want to find out what's happening with them. Like Google's long term plans for expansion into China. Like the fact that paid apps on Play are apparently available here...finally.

There are some serious changes going on with Google, and Play has been affected by them.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones