• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New interface to Android Messages app

Yesterday, I was using the standard Android Messages app to send some texts, and all of a sudden, a little window opened up and was asking me if I wanted to link my Messages app to Google in some new way that would allow for sending higher quality videos. From what I remember, I was given two choices:

--Choose my Google email account
--or use the messages app without a gmail account.

I didn't want to have it connected to gmail in some new way, so I chose to not have it connected to gmail. I anticipated that this would just send me back to the Messages app and everything would be the same as it was before. But now the app interface has changed. Instead of the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen, there is a circle with a little person icon in it (See attached pic). And the settings are now accessed by three lines in the upper left corner of the screen. What happened? Is there a way to go back to the previous interface? I wish I had just hit the back button instead of choosing anything.

Attachments

• messages screen shot.jpg
    messages screen shot.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
Yesterday, I was using the standard Android Messages app to send some texts, and all of a sudden, a little window opened up and was asking me if I wanted to link my Messages app to Google in some new way that would allow for sending higher quality videos. From what I remember, I was given two choices:

--Choose my Google email account
--or use the messages app without a gmail account.

I didn't want to have it connected to gmail in some new way, so I chose to not have it connected to gmail. I anticipated that this would just send me back to the Messages app and everything would be the same as it was before. But now the app interface has changed. Instead of the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen, there is a circle with a little person icon in it (See attached pic). And the settings are now accessed by three lines in the upper left corner of the screen. What happened? Is there a way to go back to the previous interface? I wish I had just hit the back button instead of choosing anything.

Is it a Google Pixel device you've got there?

I have Samsung and Huawei phones myself, and they just wouldn't have anything like that in their standard stock messaging apps.

Upvote 0
its just an update.....things change and move. you'll get use to it. is there anything major that is gone from the update? i really do not see a problem here.

I don't agree and I won't accept it. When I get used to anything I prefer it left alone. I don't let anyone come into my home and 'upgrade' my furniture and tech there, either. It's MINE. If I wanted to be dictated to by a company, I'd go back to Crapple.

OP, This is likely one of those infamous server-side UI redesigns. Uninstalling updates won't fix it since it never got updated. Uninstalling it and using another app won't kill your texts, that's stored in a protected storage and the app just pulls from that. They're not stored within the app.

Try AOSP Messages. That's what's running on my AOSP flip phone, and it's the older, better Material Design from Lollipop UI. No Google connection whatsoever. You can find that via APK by searching the web. I doubt it's on Play Store (Google hates AOSP for some reason)

Messages (AOSP) APK for Android Download (apkpure.com)

Upvote 0
I don't agree and I won't accept it. When I get used to anything I prefer it left alone. I don't let anyone come into my home and 'upgrade' my furniture and tech there, either. It's MINE. If I wanted to be dictated to by a company, I'd go back to Crapple.
Well then you should be used to disappointment by now. If not then get ready for it. Updates happen will keep happening. Not much you can do about it. Tech is different than furniture in a house. I'm all for change, especially when they are security updates.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
If they were just security updates I'd have no problem. But constant UI redesigns are too much. I like what I'm used to and am not hurting anyone remaining stuck where I'm most comfortable.

Heck, it annoys me when Walmart rearranges stuff that makes a 30 minute shopping trip turn into a two hour hunt for where everything got moved to. It's one reason I'm frequenting the antiquated grocers around town and in many rural Mayberrys today. I find the experience far better than the 'modern' way.

Good luck changing anything on my flip phone since it has no data plan. The worst that can happen is they kill 4G like they did 3G and not offer a flip phone period, and I'm hoping I'm long dead before that happens. Not everyone likes modern and I'm one of 'em. I prefer what I've grown used to using.

Gosh I'm sick of futurists who feel threatened by people like myself who prefer older methods. I ain't doing anything wrong! Use what you like, upgrade as you wish. Just don't expect me to agree or participate. We're all different. I've tried multiple times to use oversized smartphones and just can't. I lack the dexterity to do so, especially with gestures being more and more enforced which make no sense. My ZTE Cymbal works just as the RAZR did in 2005. It's like riding a bike, you never forget how to navigate a flip phone. Constant relearning of smartphone UIs was just too much. I'd have been happy to keep using my Thunderbolt as it served my needs perfectly but the carriers are full of futurists who prefer to screw older people over and enough is enough!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones