• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Maps Update allows for Map Caching and Nav OFFLINE!!!

ChuckFarley

Apr 23, 2010
Just saw this article and had a mini freak out. I've been looking for an offline mapping option for some time now, but really didn't find a good option.

Sounds like in a couple of days, Maps will update for android users and you'll have the option to cache map sections for liquid fast scrolling in common areas, as well as offline map access. The icing on the cake is that Navigation is meant to work on the cached maps!

This is pretty huge for anyone who plans to do some traveling overseas. Now instead of downloading a map pack for your GPS or paying outrages data usage fees on your phone if you're out of WiFi range, you can use you're amazing android device of choice and freely navigate unknown territory with the same ease of navigating around home.

I love you Google.

Here's the article:
New Google Maps coming ?in a matter of days?; adds offline mode, vector-based map drawing | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Wow, this is pretty huge. I always thought it would be much faster and easier on the battery if my phone didn't have to pull down the same maps of my metro area every time I open maps. I'm usually just checking traffic conditions anyways, which still have to by loaded. I've got lots of memory storage, so let me use it.

Upvote 0
Wow, this is pretty huge. I always thought it would be much faster and easier on the battery if my phone didn't have to pull down the same maps of my metro area every time I open maps. I'm usually just checking traffic conditions anyways, which still have to by loaded. I've got lots of memory storage, so let me use it.

That's a good point. It should allow for better battery life and faster charging while you're in the car if the phone's not constantly using 3G to load tiles.

Hopefully they let you choose sd or internal for storage of the cached maps. I have pretty much all of the internal memory free.

Upvote 0
The new map update is out and it's pretty awesome. The new mapping architecture is much faster and it automatically caches the maps you view; which is good and bad.

I was able to cache a section of my city and view it while in airplane mode and with wifi off. At this point you need to view the area(s) you want to cache at each zoom level to utilize it offline, and unfortunately Nav does not function offline. Or at least you can't start your navigation while offline.

Still, this is an awesome update and will be extremely useful. Now to get the droid community to dream up a way to provide map packs.

I wonder how much memory a full map pack of the US would be, or for that matter, the world...

Ps. I just messed around with the 3d buildings, tilt and twist gestures for a few minutes. This is a superb update, just awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones